2002 Ram engine swap. Security issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Akodo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,
So I bought a 2002 1500 Sport, 5.9L automatic. The previous owner had thrown a rod or three, one right out the side of the oil pan, tore the block up good and proper. So I bought a boneyard 5.9L, built it up, and put it in the truck. Finally got it all assembled, got it put in, everythings back together.

1st attempt at start: Clicking noises from the starter. Took a look to make sure everything was ok, checked battery posts, tried a second time. Clickclickclick.

2nd attempt: Put the battery charger on in BOOST mode. Let it charge up, tried again. NOTHING. No clicks.

Figured the battery was just low, switched it over to charge, and went about my business for couple of hours. Come back, figured try again.

3rd attempt: Nothing. Expected to at least get the clicking again. Threw on the headlights, turned the key, nothing, and the lights didnt dim a bit. So I start looking and notice a few odd things.

The security light comes on for 2 seconds, then shuts off. After a second or two, it comes back on and STAYS on. No blinking. When it does, the square indicator on the PRNDL that lets you know what gear it is in disappears. I also cant push the brake in, it isnt releasing and feels like youre pushing against a wall.

Is this normal if the security system is tripped? How do I reset it? What else could cause this?

UPDATE: 4th attempt. I did a little more checking last night, apparently, there is a relay involved. When the ignition is off, the security light blinks. When I turn the key to ON, the light goes out after a couple of seconds. Then a couple of seconds later it comes back on. When it does, there is an audible relay CLICK. So something is holding it out, I didnt have anyone with me to help track down the relay. I will do that tonight.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Shouldn't be a factor, but do you have gray key or black key?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did exactly that to mine and I don't have SKIM.

OP
OP
A

Akodo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If so then it doesn't even have SKIM. Replace the battery.
Aaaand, I was WRONG. The key is gray. I did a little more checking last night, apparently, there is a relay involved. When it is off, the security light blinks. When I turn the key to ON, the light goes out after a couple of seconds. Then a couple of seconds later it comes back on. When it does, there is an audible relay CLICK. So something is holding it out, I didnt have anyone with me to help track down the relay. I will do that tonight.