2004 Ram 1500 hard shifting into first (manual)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akdenali118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I recently bought my first Dodge, a 2004 Ram 1500 with a 4.7 and a 5 Speed manual. After about a month the clutch started slipping so I replaced the clutch and changed the transmission fluid while I was down there. I used Amsoil Sychromesh. A week after that I can hardly get the truck to shift into First while I'M stopped and the engine is running. Theres no grinding or anything the shift just wont move. Once i get it in gear and moving it shifts fine into all other gears.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this problem. I have no idea what the problem could be.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am having the same problem. I took it to a shop and had them change the fluid (my neighbor is a Goodyear tech, so it only costs me oil).

I have had it where I couldn't get it out of gear a couple times. I think I'm going to spend the $$ and replace the fluid with OEM fluid ($28 per quart).

I think it just wants OEM fluid.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
My guess would be the clutch isn't completely releasing.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My guess would be the clutch isn't completely releasing.

I agree, sounds like the clutch isn't totally releasing causing drag, which will make it difficult to get back into 1st, as long as the engine is running. I bet, with the engine idling, you can barely raise the clutch pedal and kill the motor.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree, sounds like the clutch isn't totally releasing causing drag, which will make it difficult to get back into 1st, as long as the engine is running. I bet, with the engine idling, you can barely raise the clutch pedal and kill the motor.

With mine, it will not stall in 1st when slowly pulling off. My clutch engages high on the pedal (I've never driven another 5spd ram to know how bad my clutch level is). It will stall in all other gears when attempting to pull off with no gas (proof that the clutch isn't slipping). I have good pedal pressure.

I know the trans isn't exactly the same as the NV3550 that came in the jeep wrangler, but I remember a lot of people complaining about shifting issues when using aftermarket fluid. I remembered this AFTER getting mine changed and noticing weird behavior.

OP
OP
A

akdenali118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7

I put the Mopar fluid in and it didnt help. I barely have to raise the pedal to engage the clutch so it probably is dragging. How can I fix this?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I put the Mopar fluid in and it didnt help. I barely have to raise the pedal to engage the clutch so it probably is dragging. How can I fix this?

Yep, that sounds like the problem. I'm not familiar with the clutch linkage, but often there is an adjustable rod between the pedal linkage and the master cylinder. I see the rod in the manual but it doesn't say anything about adjusting it. The ***** cylinder looks to simply bolt to the bell housing so there would be no adjusting on that end. Air in the hydraulics will also give a spongy or low pedal. Good luck..

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think there is any adjustment. And there is no bleeder valve on the *****. It is a bench bleed system that usually gets replaced as a master/***** combo.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
The manual did mention it was a one shot deal, once assembled it couldn't be taken apart again. If all your mechanical pieces are in good condition then it points to the hydraulics being the problem.