2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 keeps breaking front drive shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick McCumber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I keep breaking front drive shafts in my 2004 dodge ram 1500 with the 4.7 in it. This is probably the 5th one. Here is the info I have. I'm hoping someone can figure this out. I'm at my ends with this thing!

1. If the truck is in 4x4 or 4x2 the transfer case output spline to the front diff spins. (Front drive shaft removed)
  2. If I manually spin either front tire by hand the other front tire doesn't move. (Both tires off ground)
  3. When I manually spin either front tire by hand I can see the yoke on the front diff turning. I've had the front diff case open and didn't see any shavings.
  4. With drivers side tire on ground, I can easily spin passenger side tire by hand.
  5. With passenger side tire on ground, I can easily spin drivers side tire by hand.
  6. I did notice yesterday that the passenger side CV axle has partially released from the differential spline.
  7. Truck is a automatic transmission but a 4x4 floor shifter. (non electric)
  8. Truck does not have an actuator.
  9. Transfer case model- New Process 241.D
  10. Front drive shaft is a Doorman. 300$ range. It supposed to be a decent shaft. (This has a U joint at the diff yoke and CV joint near the T Case).
  11. Tires verified all to be the same size.
  12. No wobble due to wheel bearings or ball joints.
  13. Front end is aligned and drives straight.
  14. There are no lifts on the truck, All gearing, diffs, t case, all stock.

The shaft has been in the truck for about 2 months and in 2wd only with no problems. The past 2 weeks we have had heavy snow so 4wd has been on. There are patchy dry spots on the highway, top speed was 45 mph. Very few turns made. Some guys on FACEBOOK thought that could be the problem. I've had this truck for 20 years and that was never an issue but I suppose it could be.

The front shaft propeller joint is is twisting and breaking. Any ideas? I don't think the transfer case out put should be spinning in 4x2 but I could be wrong. This is not and AWD truck.

PLEASE HELP

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 20

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My boot keeps tearing and slinging out the grease on the CV joint.

0x00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is unbelievable. I have a quarter million miles on my 2003 with plenty of abusive 4-wheeling (hunting) no issues. It's a way, way long shot, but are both axles tagged with the same gear ratio? Assuming 3.54?

In 2WD with one wheel front wheel lifted (open diff) you should be able to spin the front drive shaft (and the lifted wheel together). I don't know if there is enough 'friction' within the Xfer case to cause the front flange of T-case to spin without the front shaft installed; my first guess is 'probably will spin due to friction' but should be stoppable (carefully put prying pressure with wood--it should be stoppable). With one wheel lifted, spin that wheel and watch the front shaft spin (separately from the rear unless in 4x4). This should demonstrate that in 4x2 the front flange is NOT engaged to the rear drive shaft through the T-case.

My 2003 has the front wheels constantly engaged to front diff/axle. Other brands put disconnect hubs to save some gas. So, when driving the front wheels are spinning the front shaft (and the front T-case flange and the stuff inside the case).

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have only broken 2 front driveshafts in my entire life. One when I was attempting to pull a huge log up the side of a mountain in reverse. The front tires had all the traction and the rear literally lifted up until the front driveline snapped. The only other time was when my brother borrowed my truck and left it in 4 WD while running down the interstate. It didn't so much as snap as it ground the 'U' joint to doggy dodo from the torque buildup between the front and rear wheels while on drive pavement for several hundred miles. It was clunking by the time he crawled home. If neither of these scenarios fits, sorry I can't help. Good luck and keep us posted. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat