2010 Ram 1500 Alpine Aftermarket Radio Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Olorin2050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi All,

I'm thinking of upgrading my stock radio unit. I have the nav with the cd player etc with the alpine, but was hoping to get android auto etc, so I bought an atoto f7.

Anyways, here I thought it would be simple, just buy a basic wire harness and then install. I'm pretty handy electrically, but I can't seem to get a clear anwer. I don't care about keeping steering wheel controls, but do I really need a canbus type module, like a pac or something?

I was thinking I probably can use the to amp connectors. But I want to know if I'm going to ruin other things, but I also don't have the money to dump another $200 into a pac unit etc on top of the radio.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

OP
OP
O

Olorin2050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just jumping back on here, hoping someone can tell me whether I need a pac/canbus radio module, or if I can just wire correctly/thoughtfully and not ruin anything?

Neil Derryberry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You need a canbus module for sure. Maestro iDatalink retains all of the HVAC/etc features if your radio is compatible. Pac audio and Metra have solutions as well. I have a Metra comverter that replaces the 8.4 "faceplate" and hvac controls with a touchscreen.. and I wouldn't recommend it. I'm wishing I went with the Maestro.