2010 Ram 1500 fuel gauge failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exhausted2010ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, just a quick note, we have replaced instrument cluster, (replaced and programmed) computer, fuel pump 5 times, pigtail 3 times, and checked all fuses but our fuel gauge hasn’t worked since the first time we changed our fuel pump! Any ideas what we can do now?

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Sorry to hear you're chasing this kind of issue. At this point if you know the parts you put in were good, I would personally go after proving the wiring end to end was good. Get a wiring diagram and find out where those wires go ( cause you're an expert where they are at the tank by now. :) ) and use a meter to verify by making yourself some long leads to reach that distance. Clips on meter vs. Pointed ends help out if you have them. Check each one and make sure there isn't a connection issue in the main wires. With current pigtail you've replaced on, you'll be verifying that works as well as you test each pin and wired correctly. Not saying it isn't.

Yes it will stink, but seems like at this point you've changed the big items at each end.

If you find yourself going into a ECU/computer connector, pull your ground from battery before you un plug to test.

If main wiring to your fuel pump has no issues, I would continue to work out from there with checking the wiring and expected voltage for each wire leg that gets to that gauge.

Maybe someone here can help with wiring diagram for your YMM if you don't have it already.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
This is the 2009 factory manual. It has troubleshooting and wiring diagrams. I've used it on my 2010 and I haven't seen any differences at all. If the first link doesn't work, copy and paste the URL, it needs the space between service and manual.

It takes some work to get it to open correctly. You'll need the IE tab option which is an extension you need to download and install from the Microsoft Edge add-on store. Once you install it, you'll see the "e" icon up in the address bar. Open default.htm with Edge, then choose the little "e" icon to display this page in an IE-based tab, an allow blocked content bar will pop up after you hit the enter button, allow blocked contact and it should open. It has all the service procedures and wiring schematics\diagrams.

2009 service manual

http://mcfail.net/dt/Service manual.zip

I think that's everything, it is a PIA to get it to work, once it does though it should have everything you need.