2012 hemi, coolant color ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xbxjunkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Question....i've searched here and the net and can't get a definite answer. What color coolant do they use for 2012? the reason for this question is this past weekend we had a monster storm on the east coast and while i was digging the truck out, i noticed a green puddle under the middle of the truck. judging where the truck was parked, it wasn't coming from the front and i'm not aware of any green colored fluids other than coolant. it thought dodge was using a pinkish/orange colored coolant til 2013, then they switched over to purple.

any ideas?

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i have a 2010 and mine is orange ...it wouldnt be from another vehicle right?..and best way would be to pop off the coolant cap check what colour it is unless it was changed before by a shop if you bought it used maybe previous owner? hope it helps abit and also no there shouldnt be any green coloured fluids only coolant that i know... power steering is red along with trans and tcase..

OP
OP
xbxjunkie

xbxjunkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i have a 2010 and mine is orange ...it wouldnt be from another vehicle right?..and best way would be to pop off the coolant cap check what colour it is unless it was changed before by a shop if you bought it used maybe previous owner? hope it helps abit and also no there shouldnt be any green coloured fluids only coolant that i know... power steering is red along with trans and tcase..

thanks, i thought it was orange. i bought the truck used from a dodge dealer and it was a certified pre-owned truck, so all the fluids would have to be as per dodge specs.....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I bet they used the wrong coolant, it should be orange. It is a real ****** mess when they do that, almost impossible to purge it all unless you hook up a garden hose and flush it, which of course you don't want to do. If it was me, I would get either like 20 gallons of distilled and do a bunch of flushes or at a minimum use filtered water and flush the hell out of it. Then I would get HOAT premixed. I would run RMI-25 for sure, it is the only cleaner I trust and will no doubt clean any slim you got from the way those last ass hats did their ****. Do you have an overflow tank?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Perfect, the RMI25 will deposit any sludge right into the tank, I have used it to clean the hell out of some old radiators. The slime once in overflow cannot leave unless you pull it out. Good news, if nothing ends up in the overflow, there was no damage. RMI25 is that good. The sludge will float, so you can scoop it out or pull the tank off and dump. Best feature, rmi25 binds to rust and pulls it out as well. RMI 25 also replenishes additive package. So I never change my coolant, I just add 8 ounces of RMI25 every year to me and my wife's 2009 rav 4. Coolant never goes bad, only additives deplete. When additives deplete and you have RMI 25 in the system, any problems will always show in over flow tank so long as you add it once a year. So I don't recommend this for the forum, just telling you what I do. I have a 2010 and my coolant is still purdy orange, and I add RMI25 once a year and plan to not change my fluid ever. unless I get a problem then I'd flush I also check my radiator 4 times a year, just lift the cap because if there is any problems it would show up on the top of the cap as well as overflow.

These are pics of visa versa, dex clone added to a system that used old prestone green. The sludge is also rust that was pulled out. See the overfow. Notice the color of the coolant, that is your problem when they mix stuff you get something in between either coolant. Clearly, they just mixed two coolants. That damage was not oil, but slime from using two coolants in a non pressurized tank, and the rust that also came. The only reason this sludge came out was because of the RMI25, without using it the sludge would have just eventually choked or corroded the system.

Air is the enemy, any O2 in a system with mixed coolants, you will have damage. Even in systems that has the same coolant, if it is HOAT or OAT damage is coming. It is why the industry has gone to pressurized tanks.

snot5.jpg

snot3.jpg

snot1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
xbxjunkie

xbxjunkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
well, good news....orange coolant in the rad. it was on the low side and i topped it off. also, the bottle was bone dry, but the stick was orange stained so i filled that up to MAX cold and we're all good. i guess that green crap wasn't from my truck, but i don't remember seeing it when i was digging out yesterday. thanks for the tips.