2012 Ram 1500 Sudden stall, rough start and idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012TryonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2012 5.7 hemi died when i was pulling in to work. i restarted it and it died again when i put it in park. i started it and took off the air cleaner (K&N cold air intake) and the idle did not improve. it just continually tries to die. i changed oil about 2 days ago and the fuel i got was from the same place i always go. any help would be great.

OP
OP
2012TryonRam

2012TryonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
update

My 2012 5.7 hemi died when i was pulling in to work. i restarted it and it died again when i put it in park. i started it and took off the air cleaner (K&N cold air intake) and the idle did not improve. it just continually tries to die. i changed oil about 2 days ago and the fuel i got was from the same place i always go. any help would be great.

It now wont go into gear with out dying.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your battery is on it's way out or your charging system is not working properly you could have weird issue because your voltage will be too low and electronics in the truck will not like it.

I supposed you don't have a multimeter to measure the voltage? Do you have a battery charger you could leave on the battery for a few minutes see if it help or another battery?

When the engine run, is the CEL (check engine light) on?

OP
OP
2012TryonRam

2012TryonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your battery is on it's way out or your charging system is not working properly you could have weird issue because your voltage will be too low and electronics in the truck will not like it.

I supposed you don't have a multimeter to measure the voltage? Do you have a battery charger you could leave on the battery for a few minutes see if it help or another battery?

When the engine run, is the CEL (check engine light) on?
No check engine light and i don't have a voltage meter or charger here at work. i do at home. it also smells like fuel when struggling to run. i tried to check all connections i could to see if anything went loose. do you know if CAI voids any warranties?

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible that the sensor (IAT) on the intake tube have been turned or is not connected properly?

OP
OP
2012TryonRam

2012TryonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible that the sensor (IAT) on the intake tube have been turned or is not connected properly?
i checked it the best i could. i installed the CAI about 8 months ago and this is the first problem ive had. i guess it is possible that its dirty or cracked. but would that throw a code and kick the CEL on?

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doubt it's the IAT, mine was broken for a few weeks and the truck didn't run any different. Did you check the oil level?

on the move..

crxfisher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This sounds a lot like a vacuum leak problem I had with another vehicle. It also happened right after an oil change. Turned out to be the vacuum hose from the air intake. It came loose when I checked the air filter, right after changing my oil. It caused the exact same symptoms you describe. Once I securely connected the vacuum hose, everything worked perfectly again. Hopefully yours is a simple fix like this.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This sounds a lot like a vacuum leak problem I had with another vehicle. It also happened right after an oil change. Turned out to be the vacuum hose from the air intake. It came loose when I checked the air filter, right after changing my oil. It caused the exact same symptoms you describe. Once I securely connected the vacuum hose, everything worked perfectly again. Hopefully yours is a simple fix like this.

No CEL when that happened?

OP
OP
2012TryonRam

2012TryonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick Update

Luckily i purchased the extended warranty through the dealership so its being towed off today and hopefully will hear what the problem was by the end of the week. i will continue to update

OP
OP
2012TryonRam

2012TryonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Dealership has had the truck for 3 going on 4 days. (weekend not counted) They found a loss in compression in cylinder 3. believe it is a broken valve spring or rocker arm. should have an official reason today.

kwend

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any update on this? I'm very curious to know the official diagnosis.

OP
OP
2012TryonRam

2012TryonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Final Update

Any update on this? I'm very curious to know the official diagnosis.

I finally have my truck back after the disaster that is The Autonation Dodge here in Denver. To get it back i had to go through 2 dealerships and and 25 days. First dealership(which was not a certified Dodge dealer) thought it was a complete engine replacement. They then sent it over to Autonation Dodge, they found the same problem, no compression in cylinder 3 and multiple miss fires. After digging into it for about a week they found a broken valve spring. After that is where it got interesting. I was told it would be done in a couple of days. About halfway through the second day after diagnosis i had not heard anything. So i called for an update and was told that the Master Tech had broken the tool used to replace a valve spring and it was going to be a couple more days to get another one in. After a few more days I asked to speak with the service manger and he told me not that the tool was broke but that they had lent it to another dealer who then lent it to a third dealer and now cant find it. On top of that it was going to 3-5 business days before they could have a new one here and then another 2 days to finish fixing it. Also not until they figure out that they had to order the tool did they offer to pay for a rental. In the end they replaced the valve spring, valve, and valve gasket. My Hemi is up and running now and i will no longer be taking my truck to either dealership, not even for an oil change.

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dont worry man, dealership near me flashed my computers....long story short without a truck 3 months valve body rebuilds torque converter swaps then one day it just started running again after it was flashed it started to just stall coming to a stop.....this was my 08

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the update though....had the rest of us 2012'ers paranoid