2015 Ram Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DOlds

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am helping my mom look for a truck. She found a used 2015 Ram Laramie crew cab 4x4, 5.7l with 147,000 miles. They are asking 19,900.

Is that to many miles to buy for this type of truck? (approx 18,000 miles a year)

How long should the motor last?

These are the questions she is asking at the moment.

I am new to the RAM and 5.7l, I bought a 2021 Ram Laramie about 1.5 years ago.

Please any information that would be helpful.

Thank you for your time.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know some of these trucks have issues with the lifter and cam and I really wouldn't want to pay that much for one with that many miles... but then again I'm a bit cheap. It probably does have a lot more miles left, but you never know for sure. If she wants all the options, it may just be that expensive. If she can do with a few less creature comforts, I would look for a BigHorn edition that is newer and/or less miles. Many still have heated seats and steering wheel, and the 8.4 uconnect so it isn't really stripped down... just cloth interior. My 2018 also has the parking sensors which I think are really nice to have.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Scan auto-trader prices and used truck prices at the dealers to get an idea.

The used market where I live is insane and not even close to a smart buy if I can spend a few more $ and get brand new with an extended warranty.

Keep in mind that these are Canadian $ and trucks are much more expensive here. This is a used dealer not far away.

Last edited:

T. Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn the used truck market is crazy right now. I paid 32k a little over two years ago for my 17 Laramie that had 22k miles on it.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nobody knows how long the engine or anything else on the truck will last. Most of the engines seem to go quite a while. The transmissions seem pretty reliable. Mine's got 172k mi ...and there have been owners here who've had 230k+ miles on theirs with no trouble. I think there was enen a 300K truck not that long ago. Then again, there have been people who've had expensive failures at 60k miles.

It's easy for me to sit here and arm-chair to spend this or that ...but since she's probably not a serious DIY mechanic who can fix whatever goes wrong, the fewer miles/Km's and more of a 'meaningful' of a warranty you can find, probably the better. Even if you have to pay more to get it. Even better if it's got decent tires and brakes on it to start with.

You'd sure hate to recommend a pickup and after 6 months it needed a $10k engine. Avoid air suspension since it's almost surely to act up and be super-frustrating $$.

Glen OS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 15 Laramie has 142k miles and runs like champ. Big thing to check is maintenance history, regular oil changes.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Kbb.com, says private party sale the truck is worth $17k.

Where in TN are you. East, west or middle, i might have a potential solution

Last edited:

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a high risk buy. I'd go for a 2017 or newer if your budget allows, to give yourself the best chance of avoiding lifter failure issue.
But if the vehicle history and condition checks out it might be ok, but you really need to give it a thorough inspection.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea thats way over priced for the mileage you could do better in my area it would be more like $14k private seller with that mileage.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Water Pumps could wear out around 150,000 miles

If a private seller is selling it, you can review a maintenance History

If a used car lot is selling it, get it checked out by a reputable family mechanic, spend the money

OP
OP
DOlds

DOlds

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kbb.com, says private party sale the truck is worth $17k.

Where in TN are you. East, west or middle, i might have a potential solution

I am in middle TN.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
That wouldn't be a bad buy here in Ga. My dad bought a '14 Laramie with ~140k on it a couple years ago for $24k-ish. The biggest thing is maintenance history and listing for the dreaded Hemi Tick. My dad's wasn't bad when he bought it, we figured it was manifolds. Now he's at around 160k and it's definitely lifters/cam. We're probably going to throw a new motor in it.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am at 158k and no issues. The only two things have happened. The driver seat motor went out and the tow haul button stopped working. Minus that its been great. I have owned it 7 years now and I have put over 100k miles myself on it. Maintenance is key with any vehicle.