Odd Ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jblnts427_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello excuse my lack of knowledge, so about 2-3 months ago I started hearing this odd ticking noise when accelerating coming from the engine and it gets faster as I apply more acceleration. I do have some broken exhaust manifold bolts that tick for a few seconds when I first start my truck but other then that there is no ticking at idle at all or when I raise the Rpm’s in park there is no ticking noise either. I only ever hear it when I’m actually driving and accelerating. I’ve tried researching and the closest situation and sound I found to it was on YouTube, although it wasn’t a hemi the mechanic said it was the rocker arms. But I’m not too sure what it could be. Any advice ? Thanks in advance

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hello excuse my lack of knowledge, so about 2-3 months ago I started hearing this odd ticking noise when accelerating coming from the engine and it gets faster as I apply more acceleration. I do have some broken exhaust manifold bolts that tick for a few seconds when I first start my truck but other then that there is no ticking at idle at all or when I raise the Rpm’s in park there is no ticking noise either. I only ever hear it when I’m actually driving and accelerating. I’ve tried researching and the closest situation and sound I found to it was on YouTube, although it wasn’t a hemi the mechanic said it was the rocker arms. But I’m not too sure what it could be. Any advice ? Thanks in advance
Could be the broken exhaust manifold bolts that you know your truck has. When engine warms up, the seal may expand and it'll stop making sound, but if you accelerate, maybe it continues to leak under load. Or maybe more bolts are starting to break under load etc...

Could be anything really... I would get that manifold bolts repaired ASAP as it could cause heads to warp more and it'll be more involved repair for you.

Once you eliminate exhaust bolts as the issue, then it could be something in the engine - could be the famous lifter starting to eat through the camshaft issue..., nobody knows until they open up your engine to actually diagnose.

Diagnose it one step at a time.