2017 ram 1500 4 x 4 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The other day I noticed my truck turned over hard but it started. The next day I went to start it and it would not start, but started easily when I jumped it with my wife’s vehicle. I figured since my truck has 104,000 miles on it it was likely time to replace the battery. I went to my local AutoZone store to purchase a battery, but when they checked it they said the battery, the alternator and the starter all looks good. Of course after I drove it to AutoZone it started. This morning on the first attempt it again would not start, but on the second attempt although turning over hard it started. Looking for any suggestions, I was pretty sure it was the battery but according to them it tested good and showed 100% charged. Any input or ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick Manchester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sounds like something is draining your battery. theres a simple test to see. unhook the negative battery terminal and hook up an amp meter to the terminal and the neg cable and see if there is any amp draw. if so start pulling fuses till the amp draw is gone. now you have the circuit narrowed down and the hard part begins locating the problem in that circuit. there will be normally a very small amp draw but dont know the normal spec.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When autozone tested it, did the check cranking amps & volts under load? I would replace the battery.

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So I went back to auto zone and shut off and restarted my truck 3 times and sure enough it would not start. At that point I went in and had them recheck the battery and at that point it showed 0%. Not sure why it shows good while it is in a start mode but when it won’t it showed no good. Anyway I changed out battery and so far all good. Can a battery show good and bad depending on what cell it is using? Hope this solved the problem.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
So I went back to auto zone and shut off and restarted my truck 3 times and sure enough it would not start. At that point I went in and had them recheck the battery and at that point it showed 0%. Not sure why it shows good while it is in a start mode but when it won’t it showed no good. Anyway I changed out battery and so far all good. Can a battery show good and bad depending on what cell it is using? Hope this solved the problem.

My 2016 Longhorn did all kinds of weird things when the battery was going bad. It started OK but the door locks and the remote did not act right. It was inconsistent. Anyway almost 4 years to the day that I bought the truck I had the battery tested and it was bad. Replaced battery and weird behavior went away.

One thing I learned is that these trucks do not like weak batteries. Since yours is a 2017 maybe the 4 year rule is in effect. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Definitely seemed to fix the problem. Four years and 100,000+, first thing I’ve ever spent other than regular maintenance, no complaints here! Thanks for the replies