2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vmac210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wife cam e home and put the truck in the garage, tried to go back out and it wouldn't start. I checked everything I could. Loose battery connections, dirty battery connections, wiring on the alternator, fuses and relays in the fuse box. All was good. Pulled the neutral string to push it all the way into the garage and left it till morning. Wife goes back out to try again and it starts. Takes kid to school, goes to the store, xmas shopping. At least three good starts. Gets home and it won't start again hour later. I put the battery on charge. Was sitting at 12.2 V. I thought...that is low. Imma charge it up. No joy. Still won't start. I go buy a new battery bc the dealership was like that is what we recommend and we charge $450 to replace the H7 800 cold craking amp AGM battery. So I did it myself for $260. Still won't start. Had it towed to the dealership and they told me it was a blown fuse. Warranty wouldn't cover it. I was pissed. I'm like something is blowing the fuse. What did the diagnostics say. Gave me some bogus diagnostic reports. Said fuses won't show on diagnostic. Only code tripped was the one for pulling the string to put the car in neutral. Showed me another diagnostic of that code and cleared and a clean diagnostic. Told them to check the connections on the starter and make sure all is well. They said they did and nothing was wrong under there. Told me car has started for them 10x now and they consider it fixed. I knew it wasn't. Sure enough. Get it home. We make a few trips out Christmas shopping. About 2-3 starts. Get home and put it in the garage and try to go back out and won't start. I went in and changed the same fuse they told me was bad and it started. It's a 40 amp fuse for ignition. So now I have a $50K truck that has to have it's fuses changed every 4-5 starts. This is ridiculous. Any ideas on what could be blowing the 40 amp fuse for ignition. I haven't personally looked under the truck at the starter bc my jack is not lifting the truck high enough for me to get under it but I think it is something else electrical. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help or someone that may have experienced something similar with their 2019 1500 Laramie.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I know this is old but I see you didnt get any replies. I have a '19 and there was a service bulletin about the starter ground connection and electric steering ground. I took mine in for it. maybe that is your electrical culprit

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you ever get the message (FOB NOT DETECTED)...............if so, there are either LED lights in the truck (cab / tail lights or 3rd brake light) or in your house, emitting Frequency Interference for the FOB/Push Button Start Switch on your truck.

OP
OP
V

Vmac210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know this is old but I see you didnt get any replies. I have a '19 and there was a service bulletin about the starter ground connection and electric steering ground. I took mine in for it. maybe that is your electrical culprit
Thanks for the info. I have contacted my service provide to inquire about this. We took it in and it sat for two weeks before they could get to it. Then once they did the truck started right up. For days it started. So I just went back and got it. It has happened once since and my Wife got mad and smashed down on the brake harder than usual and it started. So now we are suspecting the electro-mechanical connection between the brake pedal and the starting system is the suspect. Servie provider should be getting back today from the dealership. What a pain. I've been driving the truck for a few days now with no issues. Just hate to get stuck somewhere in bad weather. Could be fatal. Taking precaution until this gets figured out. Sucks. Truck only has 50K on it.