2019 Ram 1500 transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
My personal take on this issue is the 8 speed transmission is just so much garbage having it in a 2017 Ram 1500 Hemi and a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 {weird shifting issues with the latter}. These two vehiles have the same drivers and are used in idendical roads, over the same terrain as previouly owned 2012 RAM 2500 Hemi and CHRYSLER 300C V6, both having 6 speed transmissions. Both of the latter got better gas mileage with their 6 speed transmissions than current vehicles the the 8 speed. The real downside of the 8 speed is its erratic down shifting behavior seems to affect brake function when most needed. Basically it seems the computr is giving priority to downshiftng verses braking, yes brake function is controlled by the damn computer which contrls the hydraulic pump that ulimaately activates the brake calipers. In simple terms these vehivles are overly dependent on computer function and may actually be totally unsafe to drive anytime. Lemons?

The really sad thing is none of the vehicles actually acheive significantly better highway fuel economy than my 1978 Lincoln Town car with a 460 ci V6 and a AOD transmission. 41 years later and things seem to have gone downhill.
I have only had one 8 sp, and it has been good, downshift will be a bit sharp on a down hill with a bit of braking, in town You had a rare car , a 460 V6, I have only had V8, my 440 mag would get really good mileage cruising down the high way, in 1960's New Yorkers and Imperials. Brother has a 460 V8 1/2 ton, and that motor will only go 1/2 as far as my 440's I would Never buy a truck that did stupid stuff on a new test drive, with a stupid/ crooked salesmen. One thing about small towns, everyone knows everyone , and knows that can't get away with B.S like this

rocktoza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have a 19 hemi big horn, mine has hesitate from take off a number of times and I have dealt with 2 oast vehicles that did the same thing, Toyota, it may seem like the transmission but from bbn oast experience between the ram and other makers with 8 speed trannys, it's the electronic throttle, I'll know better when I pick up a pedal commander, it made a huge difference on my Toyota and I will say this these new dodges just like them all has a learning system, it memorizes how you drive and adapts to that kind of driving, there isnone thing you can do. Refresh your throttle response by turning key off. The. Put the vehicle in accessory mode and slowly push the pedal all the way to the floor, and then slowly come up, do it 2 or 3 times and do not start the truck but shut it off..then start the truck and see if there is a difference.....hope this helps....

mikeY 66666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5700 HEMI
I bought my brand new 2019 Ram Bighorn 1500 5.7 Hemi...

Even though this is an old thread i think this might help someone.

I bought my truck 4 weeks ago first time i drove it from the dealer in drive it would not move..I revved violently it slammed into gear and lurched forward. I just thought it had been sitting for a long time due to Covid i got a great deal.

Anyway first week it did it 5 times.

I took a video went to dealer I researched i knew it was a known issue at this point.

The dealer reached out to Chrysler. They suggested looking in the pan of the transmission and it had metal particles which is not good apparently.

They ordered a new transmission and will be fitted by tomorrow...Dealer wanted to resolve and has worked with me well.

Disappointed that this **** happens on a brand new truck but at least the transmission being replaced is usually the fix.

I only had the truck for a week it has been at the dealer for 3 weeks waiting for new transmission...

It has spoiled my first ever new truck experience but hopefully this story will have a happy ending...

AndrewYu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought a brand new 2019 Ram 1500 laramie sport w/ hemi. during test drive, when the gear shift know was moved from Park to Drive, the transmission did not switch into drive. had to rev the engine to approx 1500 and the transmission then switched, and lurched truck as it started to move. Sales guy said its ok and the computer just needs to "learn". I have had the same issue after i purchased. this is not a consistent problem, but happens probably 2 to three times per week. took the truck in for service with less than 900 miles on it, per dealer, no problem found. When i discussed with the service manager, he said that his new 2019 truck did the same thing until he got to about 200 miles. it went away. i picked up my truck on Wednesday, went to drive it on Sat, and it did it again. NOT HAPPY.

I have the exactly same issue with my brand new 2019 ram 1500 classic and I bought in July 2020. i just sent it to service to check up and they called me said there is no issue. is you problem has been fixed Bruce?

AndrewYu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my brand new 2019 Ram Bighorn 1500 5.7 Hemi...

Even though this is an old thread i think this might help someone.

I bought my truck 4 weeks ago first time i drove it from the dealer in drive it would not move..I revved violently it slammed into gear and lurched forward. I just thought it had been sitting for a long time due to Covid i got a great deal.

Anyway first week it did it 5 times.

I took a video went to dealer I researched i knew it was a known issue at this point.

The dealer reached out to Chrysler. They suggested looking in the pan of the transmission and it had metal particles which is not good apparently.

They ordered a new transmission and will be fitted by tomorrow...Dealer wanted to resolve and has worked with me well.

Disappointed that this **** happens on a brand new truck but at least the transmission being replaced is usually the fix.

I only had the truck for a week it has been at the dealer for 3 weeks waiting for new transmission...

It has spoiled my first ever new truck experience but hopefully this story will have a happy ending...

yes, sounds like my issue too. every time my truck park there for a couple of days, when I drive it again, i feel like the truck won't move at first 20 seconds no matter how i push the gas. i sent my truck to the dealer and they told me there is no issue. don`t know how i deal with them now.