2019 Ram Navigation Update - Why Bother..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RUSSELL STODIECK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased Product name: VP4R 2023 12.0 PSN PART Navigation updated for our 2019 RAM. I am not exactly sure why because I did not like the the navigation operation. Now navigation is more awkward. Just a simple address input requires you to select the country you are in. Really... why does the navigation system not know I am in the US and even what state I am currently in? I inputted my home address and I get a message back "Unknown Address". What? Really? This is the most user unfriendly operating system ever invented. My recommendation is do not bother on upgrading your navigation system on any RAM vehicle. It was a waste of $172.06....

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree - the nav updates are worthless. You pay way more in price than what it is worth, and it really doesn't update most of the new roads/addresses that come out every year. It's usually a year or two behind too. With things like Google maps or Waze on your phone, you get almost instantly updated maps. The only convenience you don't get is being able to display it on your main vehicle screen (and if I understand it correctly, you can actually display it with Apple Car Play or Android Auto - so you'd be better off getting that then adding updated maps to your system navigation).

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep, "Why Bother" pretty much sums it up.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the market saturation of Android Auto and Car Play, built-in Nav is already pointless.

Automotive integration of electronics has lagged behind consumer electronics for a long long time, AA and CP have slingshot automotive back in line with everything else.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Ram navigation has taken me through some questionable routes. I stopped using it a long time ago. But, for the price of the trucks, you'd think they'd have free updates, but, i'm guessing it's actually owned by another company.

Now, we just use Wayze, Google maps or similar. Wayze is nice because you get informed of police, accidents, objects in the road and even animals in the road.

bulldog1891

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7,cummins 6.7
I'm currently using a Garmin dash mount unit that I bought 10 years ago. I believe I paid $200 for the unit and $20 for a dash pad because I didn't want to use suction cup. It has free updates for the life of the unit. It has never failed me. A lot of people look at me as a dinosaur but my ways work for me haha.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Uconnect 5 NAV update.jpg

Update;
I'm not planning to update the Nav on my Ram and suggest anyone think twice before they try it. Just search this site for bricked Uconnect or Uconnect failed after the update. I don't care if it's a warranty item, I don't want the grief. :)

The process of updating this POS Nav is a risk I'm not interested in experiencing. Before my next big road trip, I plan to dig out an old Tom Tom standalone unit that works 1000 times better. :cool:

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm currently using a Garmin dash mount unit that I bought 10 years ago. I believe I paid $200 for the unit and $20 for a dash pad because I didn't want to use suction cup. It has free updates for the life of the unit. It has never failed me. A lot of people look at me as a dinosaur but my ways work for me haha.

I still have a Garmin unit I used before buying the Ram. I used it in my '08 Civic and while driving for work. Also free updates.
I guess I got used to it, having used it so much, and it worked really well for me.

My #1 concern about Waze, etc, is the possible conflict that might come up between phone and guidance. Never an issue with separate units. My '14 Ram is too old to have Android auto.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased Product name: VP4R 2023 12.0 PSN PART Navigation updated for our 2019 RAM. I am not exactly sure why because I did not like the the navigation operation. Now navigation is more awkward. Just a simple address input requires you to select the country you are in. Really... why does the navigation system not know I am in the US and even what state I am currently in? I inputted my home address and I get a message back "Unknown Address". What? Really? This is the most user unfriendly operating system ever invented. My recommendation is do not bother on upgrading your navigation system on any RAM vehicle. It was a waste of $172.06....
I do not have Nav/Sat on my plain jane U Connect 4 system. I did have it in my ED. I did not purchase the upgrades on my ED. I just use my phone and Goggle maps on both my 15 and on MY 19 with plain jane radio. The NAV from RAM is useless, out of date, and a POS system.

bulldog1891

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7,cummins 6.7

View attachment 535454

Update;
I'm not planning to update the Nav on my Ram and suggest anyone think twice before they try it. Just search this site for bricked Uconnect or Uconnect failed after the update. I don't care if it's a warranty item, I don't want the grief. :)

The process of updating this POS Nav is a risk I'm not interested in experiencing. Before my next big road trip, I plan to dig out an old Tom Tom standalone unit that works 1000 times better. :cool:

I had a TomTom for about 7 years. It worked great but the suction cup kept failing during the summer and the repeated falls eventually killed the unit. When I replaced it I went with Garmin due to better screen size without being too bulky overall. I also bought a dash pad so the suction cup wouldn't be an issue again. If/when I buy a new truck, I'll be sticking with as basic a radio unit as possible since I want NO part of vehicle installed NAV units.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a TomTom for about 7 years. It worked great but the suction cup kept failing during the summer and the repeated falls eventually killed the unit. When I replaced it I went with Garmin due to better screen size without being too bulky overall. I also bought a dash pad so the suction cup wouldn't be an issue again. If/when I buy a new truck, I'll be sticking with as basic a radio unit as possible since I want NO part of vehicle installed NAV units.

My buddy swears by his truck Nav but, he does drive a Ford. :cool:

My TomTom kept leaping off the window too and then off the plastic disk I stuck on the dash.
I eventually stuck it in a cubby in my Tundra and used it like that for years.

I tried several GPS systems and I hated them all except the TomTom. Too bad it has such a weak processor and a crappy little screen. Then again, mine is about 16 years old and after 10 years TomTom announced that the lifetime maps were over because they deemed that the planned lifetime of the device was 10 years. LOL $hitheads

Maybe I'll attempt to mount it properly with a bracket using an existing screw somewhere useful in the dash.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have always thought that Tom Tom was the worst possible navigation system that i have ever viewed.
There used to be a store called TWO GUYS, they carried just about every Nav guidance system .

I must have checked every system & decided that i would never use Tom Tom.

Ford vehicles all use Waze, the only thing wrong with that is that means all Fords & some other vehicles, plus many people using portable Navigation, are all guided on the SAME roads.
That causes a major traffic jam on secondary roads.
I got caught up in El Paso, Texas, major accident on I-10.
All the traffic was detoured North of the city, that was one of the worst backups on side roads that i have ever been in.
So i studied El Paso street maps that night & i found 2 major multi lane roads that the nav systems should have detoured vehicles to.

Up until a couple of years ago, FCA vehicles all used a Navigation product that Nokia had developed, it was called one thing & then changed to Navigation.com, that went to a sub company & now it is called HERE.com & also called
Here WE GO.com

free download at several sites

Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Wayze is nice because you get informed of police, accidents, objects in the road and even animals in the road.
Google Maps has the same warnings about that kind of stuff.