2021 Camping season...planning for the future.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
We just had to make our reservations for next years Halloween camping weekend. Damn if so many sites were not already booked.

Amazing. I looked at the other holiday weekends...they are booked up already.

Looks like there will be alot of missed holiday weekends...not a big fan if the crowds.

This year we managed a good bit of weekends. Anxious to get out already.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
We just had to make our reservations for next years Halloween camping weekend. Damn if so many sites were not already booked.

Looks like there will be alot of missed holiday weekends...not a big fan if the crowds.

Check out places less traveled. Many festivals in small towns over the holidays.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
When I looked at next October, the system said I had to wait till later this month and it was outside the range of dates. So I don't know.

What I am certain of, is after all this covid crap is over with, the 2021 camping and travel/ vacation areas are going to be packed because everyone is going to want to travel next year because they couldn't this year.

Looking forward to it. Good to get some dates on the calendar.

OP
OP
392DevilDog

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
When I looked at next October, the system said I had to wait till later this month and it was outside the range of dates. So I don't know.

What I am certain of, is after all this covid crap is over with, the 2021 camping and travel/ vacation areas are going to be packed because everyone is going to want to travel next year because they couldn't this year.

Looking forward to it. Good to get some dates on the calendar.
11 months. So you can reserve today in October now. But you can then reserve 14 days out...so you could reserve for the next 2 weekends...but you have to reserve all the days. If you understand what I am saying.

Other words to reserve for say the 20th of October...you will have to wait til the 20th of November.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
We usually head to the state forest to the dispersed sites...but covid downtime research led people to learn about them too

Hhmm...okay then. I am fortunate as we do most of our 'camping' on private property. Music gigs, motorcycle functions, and a few small towns where we park on friends property. 80% of our camping is primitive running off of a generator and the tanks.

Getting to Shady Valley TN was a fun drive as there is no road to take there that allows my 55 foot rig to stay in my lane on some curves. Slow and steady, lol. Wife was watching the rear of the trailer get within inches of the mountain. That was with my 2500 CC short bed. I now have a 3500 CC long bed somy rig is now 2 feet longer!

Last edited:

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

The camping rush started last spring. We spent 2 months on a 6k trip and had a hell of a time finding camping spots. In 45 years of camping we have never had such problems. Hope to go South this winter for 2 months and hope things arent so bad.
Seems few if any Canadians will snow bird this year so that should help.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We avoid camping during holiday weekends. We usually stick with the same one or two campgrounds. No real attractions around there so there is usually sites open. Now closer to the shore is a different story. They are usually packed. We want to try Lancaster this year. Haven't been there in a while. Other than there and Carlisle we usually stay in Jersey.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Already??? wow i think your addicted... LOL
We usually head to the state forest to the dispersed sites...but covid downtime research led people to learn about them too
Yea not joke, alot of the places my son likes to go ( nobody around) had people there this year.

OP
OP
392DevilDog

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
@jvbuttex I would be going this weekend if i didnt have the winter honey do list to complete.

If we have a mild weather again...i may be making a late November and early December trip also.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Outdoor activities have become incredibly popular with Covid, and I don't think that is going to change next summer. We were in Vermont, New Hamshire, Acadia National Park and Boston area for a few weeks in October. It was crazy crowded everywhere. Traffic jams in Vermont and on Mt Washington on a cloudy day. We had to stay well outside Acadia because RV sites in the park were closed and campgrounds nearby were full. Acadia implemented a new reservation system for the most popular areas on October 1. I was told that crowding was greatly reduced, but there were still major crowds on the trails and parking lots were full, even inside the reserved areas. We had to go the far ends of Acadia to hike unmolested. Locals told us that Acadia crowds usually went away in October. Not this year, locals were saying it was just as crowded as it was in August. Meanwhile, near my home, my friend who works a marina, says the place was busier than ever before... even after the first snow. People are still using their boats, and why not, this weekend temps are going into the lower 70s.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I'm finding some nice "off the beaten path" campgrounds here lately, that we have really enjoyed. Been trying my best to plan 2 outings a month, but the campgrounds on the beach are becoming harder and harder to book. We generally don't camp on the major holidays, as I really don't enjoy the large crowds. The popularity of camping has just exploded here in Florida!

OP
OP
392DevilDog

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
We camp every weekend from April to October.

In 2019 you only had to reserve early for memorial day 4th of July and labor day

On the last few weekends of October we were usually alone or maybe a few other strsglers.

This year we almost missed the last weekend because we didnt reserve early

Looks like 2021 will be worse...as many are already booked with the 11 month in advance reserve policy.

And the out of the way campgrounds...they are filling up with the new out of the way people lol

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
11 months. So you can reserve today in October now. But you can then reserve 14 days out...so you could reserve for the next 2 weekends...but you have to reserve all the days. If you understand what I am saying.

Other words to reserve for say the 20th of October...you will have to wait til the 20th of November.
10-4. I thought it was 12 months but that's not correct. Thanks for confirming what I suspected.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
We camp every weekend from April to October.

In 2019 you only had to reserve early for memorial day 4th of July and labor day

On the last few weekends of October we were usually alone or maybe a few other strsglers.

This year we almost missed the last weekend because we didnt reserve early

Looks like 2021 will be worse...as many are already booked with the 11 month in advance reserve policy.

And the out of the way campgrounds...they are filling up with the new out of the way people lol

Man that's great that you do, but I don't see how! Haha

I try to get out once per month from may to October.

Beyond that I'm too busy with work around the house, projects, kids and nephews and nieces birthday parties, holiday parties, etc.

If I went every weekend my property and house would be in rough shape.

I work long hours m-f and Saturday and Sunday is when I get my big projects done.

But good on you man! Glad you can get out so much because I'd love to be able to go more. Maybe someday...

OP
OP
392DevilDog

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Man that's great that you do, but I don't see how! Haha

I try to get out once per month from may to October.

Beyond that I'm too busy with work around the house, projects, kids and nephews and nieces birthday parties, holiday parties, etc.

If I went every weekend my property and house would be in rough shape.

I work long hours m-f and Saturday and Sunday is when I get my big projects done.

But good on you man! Glad you can get out so much because I'd love to be able to go more. Maybe someday...
I work my ass off all week and then just get the heck out if here. I am off every weekend. My wife is a nurse and works every other weekend. So every other weekend we go local...either Prince Gallitzin or Blue Knob. And then her weekends off we try to get a bit further out.

We love the outdoors. Although we are friendly to our short term neighbors...we like to try to get away from people. But...we like to conversate with like minded people from time to time to...so the crowds have been interesting lol

OP
OP
392DevilDog

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
42 more days til regular Camping season opens in Pennsylvania.

Anxiously waiting the day.

The dispersed sites in state Forest got shut down. Too much snow turning to ice. People have stuck abandon vehicles everywhere.

Hoping to maybe hit one middle of next month if the weather is fair.

Good times

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We're champing at the bit here. We've been planning to travel round the county for many years, now our kid is moving out and we are ready! But we're worried that these new crowds may be an issue.

Then again anything is better than staring at her sitting in the mud all winter: 16143580939603363605089652254132.jpg

OP
OP
392DevilDog

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Holiday reservations in PA are almost completely booked here.

There are a lot of new campers...a blessing and a curse.

I am very anxious to see how many new campers become old campers.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We're ready to go as well. April is when we'll start camping. I was at the dealership today looking at new trailers. I'd like to downsize a little bit but get a larger bath and shower. We have a 33' but I wouldn't mind getting a 29' to 30'. That 3' makes a difference in our driveway. But if we don't find what we like we're content with what we have for now.

Sent from my LG-V60 using Tapatalk.