2021 Ram 1500 Classic 4WD Lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Victory Pete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi,
I drove to my Post Office just now and in the tight parking lot the truck bound up, it was still in 4WD Lock from the snowstorm 2 days ago. I had the radio on the whole time so I could not have heard any strange noises that may have indicated there was any strain on the transfer case. Driving home everything seemed normal. In my gravel driveway I put it back in 4WD Lock and did some tight turns, it was bucking and grabbing with no funny noises. Are there any fail safes built into this system for this kind of thing?
Thanks

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I try to remember to switch back to 2WD when parking at home. The transfer to 4WD is so effective on these trucks, that it's unnecessary to keep it engaged unless you're headed out into a storm again soon.

And if you are into the habit of setting your 4WD as required and disabling it, it can be a no-brainer.

Like many activities I enjoy, I find an SOP saves the day and/or the wear on the driveline components/transfer case. :)

OP
OP
Victory Pete

Victory Pete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I try to remember to switch back to 2WD when parking at home. The transfer to 4WD is so effective on these trucks, that it's unnecessary to keep it engaged unless you're headed out into a storm again soon.

And if you are into the habit of setting your 4WD as required and disabling it, it can be a no-brainer.

Like many activities I enjoy, I find an SOP saves the day and/or the wear on the driveline components/transfer case. :)
Yes, obviously I get all that, except the SOP part.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should never leave 4x4 engaged like that, there is absolutely no reason to and it absolutely will do damage to your drivetrain. That grabbing/binding/hopping is normal but very unhealthy, that's why you should never have it engaged on dry pavement. Only use 4x4 in low traction situations where you really need it, and avoid having it engaged on any turns.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well hopefully someone's SOP is to actually answer someone's specific question instead of seemingly enjoying to sarcastically provide an already obvious non answer.

To the very best of my knowledge, any part-time 4WD vehicle has no built-in protection against drive line torsion and this should be seriously avoided.

Unless you have the transfer case with an Auto setting. :cool:

All-wheel drive vehicles employ different systems to avoid drive line torsion such as a viscous coupling.

My non-answer is simply providing information that is very relevant to utilizing a 4WD vehicle, I'm sorry you don't appreciate the info.

My thinking is, that if you have to ask this question, you do not have a good understanding of how your 4WD system works. There's nothing wrong with not knowing, and it's great that you can find that information online at a place like Ram Forum.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only use 4x4 in low traction situations where you really need it, and avoid having it engaged on any turns.

Except if you're driving offroad or with a significant lack of traction. Snow, ice, dirt, gravel etc.

You will feel drive-line torsion with traction during turns if you're paying attention. :cool:

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been using 4WD auto and have never used 4WD lock. Sometimes I do leave it in 4WD auto. Is this good or bad? This is my 1st truck with the auto function. I read conflicting reviews on when to use auto and lock. It still slides around a bit in auto when stopping or cornering.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been using 4WD auto and have never used 4WD lock. Sometimes I do leave it in 4WD auto. Is this good or bad? This is my 1st truck with the auto function. I read conflicting reviews on when to use auto and lock. It still slides around a bit in auto when stopping or cornering.

There are several threads that cover this question. AFAIK, there's nothing wrong with leaving in Auto with only a few exceptions in nasty weather.

Have a read here and see if it clarifies everything you're looking to learn.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, there is not any type of "fail safe" for leaving the truck in 4 lock when not needed. It's one of those things they have to rely on the driver knowing what to do. Really no sure what somebody would how you would set that up? The truck can't "tell" if you need or want 4 Lock. Honestly you would probably have a bunch of people complaining about it if there was some type of fail safe that shifted the truck out of 4 lock.....like all the posts complaining about the chime if you don't have the seatbelt on, not being able to back up if the door is open, etc.....