2023 first oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Any time there is a problem like this that a dealer service shop dismisses it is important to keep taking it back to the dealer. Get a written explanation of what they think about the problem and what to do. Make sure there is a date on it and have it signed or on paper with company letterhead. You might need the paper trail.
Defintely keep the a copy of the service write-up with their comments that it is normal. Sometime they will just say "no trouble found" which is not specific enough for your issue IMO. Try to get them to document the "parameters". Good luck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Tulecreeper, you were right on the money as the rep for the extended warranty contacted me and told me they pretty much refer back to ram on what is a coverable.
I'll contact the dealer I purchased the truck from and get there opinion on additives in oil and also on ticking issue again. I took a video last night of truck startup and ticking is quite loud for more the 3 minutes and I also heard the ticking get louder every time the ac clutch engaged and loaded the motor. When it disengaged it quiets down just a bit but it's still quite loud in my opinion.
The dealer is going to automatically tell you "no" additives.Also if you contact them about it,you might raise flags,and that could cause you issues down the road,even if you don't use any additives.Keep your mouth shut,try adding some lubegard,if it doesn't show any improvement in a 1,000 miles,dump the oil and refill with new oil.

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Tulecreeper, you were right on the money as the rep for the extended warranty contacted me and told me they pretty much refer back to ram on what is a coverable.
I'll contact the dealer I purchased the truck from and get there opinion on additives in oil and also on ticking issue again. I took a video last night of truck startup and ticking is quite loud for more the 3 minutes and I also heard the ticking get louder every time the ac clutch engaged and loaded the motor. When it disengaged it quiets down just a bit but it's still quite loud in my opinion.
Well, sonofagun...I got one right for a change. :happy107:

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New 23 ram 2500 with 6.4 hemi. Just reached 3500 miles with excessive valve train ticking lasting a good 3 to 5 minutes at startup and also when warm during startup after short shutdown.
Going to throw in the redline 5w30 and a new larger rp filter. Will keep you all posted or should I post my results in a separate oil thread for members to see.
Ty
I’d be taking it back to the dealer. First, Chrysler dealers typically give you the first OCF gratis (check your purchase agreement). Second, it’s a good way to maintain the relationship with the dealer - like it or not, you’ll get more consideration when it comes time to request help on issues. Third, that valve train noise is unacceptable in any new vehicle. Don’t buy that “Hemi tick” nonsense as just part of the ownership thing.

I’d suggest you conduct preventative maintenance well ahead of the onboard computer, but 3500 miles is way too early. They don’t use break in oil- it’s whatever the factory fill OEM spec is. May I suggest 5 k unless it sounds like it’s about to blow?

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks, I think that and some time stamped video,s saved for the future might just work.
I'm waiting to hear back now from my extended warranty company about putting additives in the oil and there affect on the warranty
I hate that you have to be dealing with something like this. Just annoying as hell I'm sure.

slowindown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t want to disbelieve what you’re saying but are you 100% sure it’s the valves?

Many, possibly all, of the HD hemis make a noise at start up until warm. It’s from the exhaust, I believe the Y pipe has been determined to be the source. Many people describe it at a chirping - but I can see how it could be mistaken as valve noise. Its a metallic tapping noise. There’s a huge thread about it on the hd ram forum. My ‘22 3500 does it and the few others I’ve seen do it too.

Last edited:

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
New 23 ram 2500 with 6.4 hemi. Just reached 3500 miles with excessive valve train ticking lasting a good 3 to 5 minutes at startup and also when warm during startup after short shutdown.
Going to throw in the redline 5w30 and a new larger rp filter. Will keep you all posted or should I post my results in a separate oil thread for members to see.
Ty
Have an independent Mopar trained tech look at that. Not a Dealership tech

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
3500 mile an engine makes noise,
Go straight back the dealer,
Asked them to keep over cool night or weekend. Ask dealer to take an oil sample send it to the lab. They may attempt to make you pay for samples. ( I like agree but then make sure they agree to put an engine in when it comes back bad) asking see lab you’re self,

If still sad nothing wrong with it
Ask non dealers/ owner of 6.4 to listen to it,
Don’t put any additional or other they RAM requirements oil in it,
Ram used special oil made sure you are using it, an right weight.

JoeRfromSC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7e
@ Jane S Is that Marvel Mystery oil? And in the gas? How much i Have a 33 gallon tank and an 5.7 e

Thanks in advance.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Always cry when I think about how much trucks cost these days, how cheaply they are built, and how “normal” BS defects have become. Getting too old for this lol. Good luck in getting it squared away. I run Redline 5W-30 and bigger RP filter thanks to relocation kit, but would also be afraid of dealer using it against me if I had problems. Sad for a dealers to say weird noises are all good at 3k.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just change the oil. Leave the oil filter on as a control, and I bet the ticking will go away for another 3K miles. It's the additives breaking down and the lifters start "singing".

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
In addition to all the other good info, take an oil sample from the truck, either yourself or watch them do it at the dealer so you know the oil is yours. Send it in a get it analysed. Will tell you pretty fast if the truck has major issues already.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Question..if anyone is still looking at this thread. What is PUP oil and RP filter? Seems they are an abbreviation for a brand. I'm purchasing a new 6.4 and would like to know the best oil and filter to use along with the weight. Seems for my climate (gets down to the mid twenties in the winter and hotter than hades in the summer) two different oils might be best. And I usually have always changed my oil at 3000 mile intervals. Don't yet know the recommended interval for the 6.4 but if longer mileage is okay then I would like to know. I do my own service work so I'm the oil filter is easier to get to than the 2014 Cummins I had.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question..if anyone is still looking at this thread. What is PUP oil and RP filter? Seems they are an abbreviation for a brand. I'm purchasing a new 6.4 and would like to know the best oil and filter to use along with the weight. Seems for my climate (gets down to the mid twenties in the winter and hotter than hades in the summer) two different oils might be best. And I usually have always changed my oil at 3000 mile intervals. Don't yet know the recommended interval for the 6.4 but if longer mileage is okay then I would like to know. I do my own service work so I'm the oil filter is easier to get to than the 2014 Cummins I had.
PUP is pennzoil ultra platinum. RP is royal purple. The 6.4 calls for 0w-40 PUP, but several guys run redline 5w-30...as I do. The manual calls for 8000 mile changes, I do 5000 as I don't want to have issues with lifters and cam like the hemis are notorious for.