2023 first oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
New 23 ram 2500 with 6.4 hemi. Just reached 3500 miles with excessive valve train ticking lasting a good 3 to 5 minutes at startup and also when warm during startup after short shutdown.
Going to throw in the redline 5w30 and a new larger rp filter. Will keep you all posted or should I post my results in a separate oil thread for members to see.
Ty

OP
OP
M

marzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I did bring it back to 2 dealers in my area ( the one I purchased it from and a second nearby) and both service managers said it is totally normal
( within normal parameters) to have the 6.4 ticking at startup and if it gets worse to bring it back in.
I figured that is what they were going to say and I wanted to hear it from them first before I went ahead and changed my oil and filter.
This is my 2nd ram 2500 in a year as my 22 cummins got bought back in march after the issues I had with the cummins engine, tranny, def and misc others electrical sensor issues.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I did bring it back to 2 dealers in my area ( the one I purchased it from and a second nearby) and both service managers said it is totally normal
( within normal parameters) to have the 6.4 ticking at startup and if it gets worse to bring it back in.
I figured that is what they were going to say and I wanted to hear it from them first before I went ahead and changed my oil and filter.
This is my 2nd ram 2500 in a year as my 22 cummins got bought back in march after the issues I had with the cummins engine, tranny, def and misc others electrical sensor issues.
Bad Ju-Ju around there... ticking ain't normal!

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
New 23 ram 2500 with 6.4 hemi. Just reached 3500 miles with excessive valve train ticking lasting a good 3 to 5 minutes at startup and also when warm during startup after short shutdown.
Going to throw in the redline 5w30 and a new larger rp filter. Will keep you all posted or should I post my results in a separate oil thread for members to see.
Ty
Not sure why you're having these issues, but the book calls for 0w-40.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you are already thinking you have something going on, be careful to not put oil in the engine thats NOT recommended. Dont damage your warranty. If I was you, I would take it to the RAM dealer. And have them change the oil to have it on your service history record.

OP
OP
M

marzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm still tossing around that idea as well. Was just thinking of somehow trying to reduce the risk of any further damage going forward as I like to keep my trucks for a good many years and I'm only at 3500 miles now.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ty
Ty
Go with PUP 0w40 + Lubegard in oil.

Miricle Mystery Oil in the gas.

It will be so quiet, you won't know the engine is on.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ty
Go with PUP 0w40 + Lubegard in oil.

It will be so quiet, you won't know the engine is on.
That's the combo i run in the wifes 6.4 Challenger. So far it's been a good combo,but it just had it's last dealer supplied oil change,and after this,i'm seriously thinking of switching it over to 0W-40 Redline,or 5W-30 Redline,or maybe even a mix of both,seeing as how i have about a dozen bottles of each on hand,lol

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's the combo i run in the wifes 6.4 Challenger. So far it's been a good combo,but it just had it's last dealer supplied oil change,and after this,i'm seriously thinking of switching it over to 0W-40 Redline,or 5W-30 Redline,or maybe even a mix of both,seeing as how i have about a dozen bottles of each on hand,lol
Use the 40 in summer and the 30 in winter.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Use the 40 in summer and the 30 in winter.
Car is only drove in the summer,i have beaters for winter time.
It's not all that uncommon for it to be -20F or colder in the winter where i live,lol.
So far the 5W-30 Redline also looks to be a good oil for the 6.4.
I'm still seriously thinking of mixing 5W-30 Redline and 0W-40 Redline for it though

Attachments

• IMG_2916.JPG
    IMG_2916.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
M

marzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I guess I'll take it to the dealership for its first oil dump and get it in the system with new 0w-40. Then I'll see if there is any difference with the ticking at startup and then make a decision whether to add lubeguard or moa 115 or just try the redline and rp filter.
I've always done my own oil changes and general maintenance at my shop so it'll be easy for me to keep records and receipts for warranty purposes.
Truck is only run in the spring summer and fall, mostly towing my camper and maybe a few solo trips here and there.
I'm wondering if adding lubeguard after it's first oil change would hurt the warranty . I was given a full 10 year 150 thou mile bumper to bumper warranty from the dealer through a private company for all the aggrevation on my 22 ram . Wondering if the oil additives would affectively void the engine part of that. I'll have to go over my policy and see if there is anything excluding oil additives.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Ask them what the parameters are so you can monitor them going forward. What you describe is not normal. I would take a video with sound of the phenomenon.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I guess I'll take it to the dealership for its first oil dump and get it in the system with new 0w-40. Then I'll see if there is any difference with the ticking at startup and then make a decision whether to add lubeguard or moa 115 or just try the redline and rp filter.
I've always done my own oil changes and general maintenance at my shop so it'll be easy for me to keep records and receipts for warranty purposes.
Truck is only run in the spring summer and fall, mostly towing my camper and maybe a few solo trips here and there.
I'm wondering if adding lubeguard after it's first oil change would hurt the warranty . I was given a full 10 year 150 thou mile bumper to bumper warranty from the dealer through a private company for all the aggrevation on my 22 ram . Wondering if the oil additives would affectively void the engine part of that. I'll have to go over my policy and see if there is anything excluding oil additives.
If you have a warrenty claim,and are worried about the oil additive in the pan,you could always drop the oil and filter and put the proper oil in it,before having it towed to the dealer

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would keep taking it back to the dealer and telling them it's getting worse. If they don't believe you at least your visit will be on record that you went in multiple times and the issue was not resolved. Might help with a claim in the future.

OP
OP
M

marzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks, I think that and some time stamped video,s saved for the future might just work.
I'm waiting to hear back now from my extended warranty company about putting additives in the oil and there affect on the warranty

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks, I think that and some time stamped video,s saved for the future might just work.
I'm waiting to hear back now from my extended warranty company about putting additives in the oil and there affect on the warranty
The warranty company only follows what RAM approves/recommends. I think you should be talking to RAM about the additive thing. They're the ones who will tell the warranty company whether or not you violated some type of "spec" thing, because the warranty company will ask RAM if whatever happened goes against RAM's maintenance policy.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
Any time there is a problem like this that a dealer service shop dismisses it is important to keep taking it back to the dealer. Get a written explanation of what they think about the problem and what to do. Make sure there is a date on it and have it signed or on paper with company letterhead. You might need the paper trail.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
My dealer gives free oil changes and doesn't complain about the interval. If anything happens that is oil related it's going to be on them to fix it.

OP
OP
M

marzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Tulecreeper, you were right on the money as the rep for the extended warranty contacted me and told me they pretty much refer back to ram on what is a coverable.
I'll contact the dealer I purchased the truck from and get there opinion on additives in oil and also on ticking issue again. I took a video last night of truck startup and ticking is quite loud for more the 3 minutes and I also heard the ticking get louder every time the ac clutch engaged and loaded the motor. When it disengaged it quiets down just a bit but it's still quite loud in my opinion.