3.0 eco diesel pulling TT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mokavich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Looking to buy 2019 Laramie with 3.0 eco diesel. We need to pull a TT 7500 lbs loaded. Wife isn't convinced it can pull it without damaging the truck over time. Mostly towing flat land 200 mile trips about 8 times a year. Any help would be appreciated.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You need to look at cargo (payload) capacity and rear axle weight rating, along with the tongue weight of the trailer/length of the trailer. Without any of that information it's a shot in the dark.

That said, a Laramie is going to have a lot more options than say a Bighorn, so your payload is going to be lower (likely around 1200 lbs or less). It may have the air suspension, which apparently can trigger CEL/warning lights if it detects too much weight (I don't have it so I can't say). So by going with a Laramie you're limiting yourself a bit on what you can/can't pull.

IF you're within specs, you'll definitely need a WDH and sway control. If you're not within specs, you'll need both of those and either a LOT of confidence in your abilities or a desire to keep speeds down.

It's also a used truck, that you don't know the history of. It could be a time bomb, it could be the best truck you'll ever buy.

Will it do it? Probably, yeah. Will it be the safest rig to pull it with? No. Are you ever going to have a problem or hurt the truck? Hard to say, chances are no but the possibility is there.

I would suggest avoiding the ecodiesel and the Laramie and looking for a Bighorn with the 5.7 and 3.92 gears. You'll have a better tow for less money. In truth I'd spring for a 2500, gas or diesel your choice (my '22 6.7 CTD is putting down about 22-24 mpg cruising empty and has a pretty good unloaded ride, not like my wife's 1500 but decent), and use that. It is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I've got a 22 Laramie and had a 6500 lbs TT (my payload is around 1500 lbs). When towing, it wasn't unlike my previous 5.7L Hemis...it towed just fine, just with a few extra RPMs. Because of the weight of the TT, you'll KNOW it's back there. There are upgrades you can add on to make the towing experience a little more enjoyable. The 3d Gen Ecodiesel motor is a decent towing powertrain, so have no fear there. You're not towing frequently, so you're not really taxing the truck hard all the time. When you're not towing, you'll certainly enjoy the nice fuel economy. Look for posts from VernDiesel...he tows TTs professionally with his Ecodiesel and has great success with this motor.

Motoman501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a buddy who had an Eco, I believe it was a Laramie. His payload was about 950 lbs. It towed his travel trailer well power wise but even with a 25ft travel trailer I'm sure he was well over payload capacity loaded with his family.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Definitely stick with a lower trim level if you're planning on towing that much. With a 7500 lb wet trailer weight you'll be at ~ 1,125 on the hitch. I would shoot for a truck with a payload in the 1,700 lb range (or higher) to account for cargo, family, and the hitch weight.