30'+ TT Hauling in a 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why are you guys talking about over capacity. It has nothing to do with what the OP wants. He is within limits.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Why are you guys talking about over capacity. It has nothing to do with what the OP wants. He is within limits.

'cuz someone mentioned that towing far above rated capacity is OK, so follow-up questions ensued.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The key here is that the OP is a rookie without tow experience. He is looking at a lot of trailer for that situation. The weights are fine for the truck, and there is no "length rating" to avoid.

I would take the load without hesitation, but I'm an experienced trailer driver with a class "A" cdl. The main thing my experience would tell me as soon as I started pulling the load is how much to take my time. If windage is an issue, I'm likely to keep the rig at 55mph in the right lane and enjoy the scenery. No reason for white knuckles.

I don't have the experience you do pulling trailers. I agree that trucks a rated at weight and not length. But pulling a 7-8000lb flat bed trailer and a 7-8000lb enclosed trailer are two different animals, a 53ft 8000lb flatbed trailer would pull way better than a 32ft enclosed. I'm not trying to be rude just stateing my disagreement. If the trailer out weights the truck and has a 20-30mph cross wind witch you will see traveling you know this by being a commercial driver even at 55 that trailer will be a handful and to me would make a miserable drive. And if you are driving cross country to relax and enjoy why take the risk with the bigger trailer there is plenty of 26-28ft that are very nice and roomy trailers.

Edit: forgot to add that a 53 would pull better than a enclosed that is if the suspension is not super stiff as most 53ft would be.

Last edited:

swanny297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your truck will handle that with ease - get your WD hitch set up correctly so you are not to light at hitch - take it easy until you are used to it - trailer brakes need to be installed. Pack up the family and have fun.

OP
OP
J

jc55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
This thread has provided some valuable information, so thank you for all those who contributed.

A little background on myself as well. I'm 32, with a wife and two kids. A 4 year old boy and a 10 month old girl, the last thing I want to do is put them in danger. The plan, as it were, was to buy a decently sized TT and park it down at a campground at the ocean for beach season, May-October. With maybe one or two trips up north in the Spring/Fall. We wanted to get a bigger trailer so we could have another family with us at the beach.

I'm definitely doing my homework on this, which is why I asked for input. I do have the tow mirrors, integrated brake controller, the whole nine. I custom ordered this truck to tow (outside of ordering a 2500, that is).

It's about a three hour drive from my house to the ocean, though, I suspect with a trailer it would be more like 4.5 to 5.

I was planning on several short trips in the immediate vicinity to get comfortable behind the wheel.

I think I am going to try to stick to something around 30' if I can find it, I think going slow and having the right set up I should be okay.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have the experience you do pulling trailers. I agree that trucks a rated at weight and not length. But pulling a 7-8000lb flat bed trailer and a 7-8000lb enclosed trailer are two different animals, a 53ft 8000lb flatbed trailer would pull way better than a 32ft enclosed. I'm not trying to be rude just stateing my disagreement. If the trailer out weights the truck and has a 20-30mph cross wind witch you will see traveling you know this by being a commercial driver even at 55 that trailer will be a handful and to me would make a miserable drive. And if you are driving cross country to relax and enjoy why take the risk with the bigger trailer there is plenty of 26-28ft that are very nice and roomy trailers.

Edit: forgot to add that a 53 would pull better than a enclosed that is if the suspension is not super stiff as most 53ft would be.

Actually, the heavier the trailer and the slower you go the less you feel from windage unless its really blowing. Like over 60 mph. In my world we routinely tow 60,000lb+ trailers with 8,000 tractors. The biggest advantage of a flatbed trailer is the visibility over it. Once a load is stacked up on it, it will grab wind too.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
This thread has provided some valuable information, so thank you for all those who contributed.

A little background on myself as well. I'm 32, with a wife and two kids. A 4 year old boy and a 10 month old girl, the last thing I want to do is put them in danger. The plan, as it were, was to buy a decently sized TT and park it down at a campground at the ocean for beach season, May-October. With maybe one or two trips up north in the Spring/Fall. We wanted to get a bigger trailer so we could have another family with us at the beach.

I'm definitely doing my homework on this, which is why I asked for input. I do have the tow mirrors, integrated brake controller, the whole nine. I custom ordered this truck to tow (outside of ordering a 2500, that is).

It's about a three hour drive from my house to the ocean, though, I suspect with a trailer it would be more like 4.5 to 5.

I was planning on several short trips in the immediate vicinity to get comfortable behind the wheel.

I think I am going to try to stick to something around 30' if I can find it, I think going slow and having the right set up I should be okay.

Short trips and getting use to it is always a great idea not to jump in to deep to fast. And you have the best setup possible for towing with a 1/2 ton. Happy camping... Lastly a beach sounds nice.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have towed a 29 footer with my 1500. I don't know the weight but I know my grandpa pulled with suburban so I pulled it too. I did not use weight distribution hitch because I don't own one. Put bags at 35 and went but I took it easy as without away control and what many would call the proper setup I did not want to be crazy. I don't advocate what I did but to me with the shocker hitch and bags it did pretty well. With WDH and a little practice I would feel very confident in you towing a 30' around. I personally would do shorter as it would be easier to maneuver and just a better experience. I would point something I would also shop is how wide the trailer is. If it is much past 7ft wide towing it with 1500 and normal non extension mirrors sucks for viability. I once rented an 8.5 foot wide and hated towing it with 1500 could not see jack as my mirrors are not flip out. As long as it is legal nothing wrong with doing it but people here overall just want you to be safe and enjoy it not hate or dread it.

$miley

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been doing a bunch of research into which travel trailers we'd be looking at buying. Recently went to an RV show and found a few models we were interested in, but the one we really want is about 35.4' total length. Reading this forum, I've come to the realization that this might be a bit too long for a rookie to towing and RV'ing.

I'm curious to see if anyone had any thoughts on this setup for towing a 32' travel trailer:

'14 RAM 1500 5.7L 6.4' bed, 149.5" wheelbase
3.92 gears
Factory 4 corner air suspension
18" wheels w/ Load: E rated tires
ProPride 3P hitch

The concern here is sway, really, as we'd ideally like to go on long trips.

Travel Trailers I'm looking at have are in the neighborhood of 5-6000lbs dry weight, with hitch weights of 5-750 lbs.

My thoughts, which are not based on personal experience, is that with the wheelbase of my truck, the tires, and the hitch, I -should- be okay with a 30-32ft trailer.

Should I scale down my expectations to only 30ft and below, or would that set up be okay with 32?

It has little to do with your being a towing noobie and more to do with the small frame, and how a half ton carries its payload directly on the axle. We pull a 32' (35.5' total) and it us too much trailer for a half ton. Too much sidewall surface area.
The Propride may help with sway (I've seriously considered it myself) but it soaks up a lit of useable payload capacity itself.
If we could go back in time we'd stay at 27' or less but our 1 year old unit is worth 50% of what we paid so we're stuck.
Don't do it; stay manageable!

clark123456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I pulled a 27' trailer (~30 actual feet) with a crew max tundra (1500 class pickup). I did not ever feel out of control, but I had a few white knuckle situations when trapped between two tractor trailers at 60mph...which has happened when I pulled the same trailer with my ram 2500.

I'm in the market for a new rv and I'm in the same situation as you...I want the super long tt, but I'm concerned about the tail wagging the dog. I might have to pull the trigger on a fifth wheel, but that's a whole separate discussion.

I believe that under 30' of actual length will be fine for you, but I don't know what you'll experience if you go longer. Good luck with you're decision.

ramdude916

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pull a 23ft travel trailer with my 2013 Ram Crew 5.7, 3.55 with air suspension, wdh and sway control. Originally I wanted a 26ft so that we could have bunks for my 10 year old. I feel that yes we could pull it but my biggest concern is braking. I always give myself distance between the car in front of me but there's always one a**hole that can't be behind a trailer. Personally I don't think i would feel comfortable pulling a 30ft. 26ft maybe. In ideal conditions easy breezy. Just leave room room for error or the unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I recall not long ago a 2500 owner having wagging issues with his TT. Right around the same size as OP's. I watch big rigs wag. Hell, I know there's a better than not chance it'll happen every time I head out. Point being is comfort is a pipe dream in discussions like these. Confidence is the word we need to toss around a little more. Not only in our own abilities but also in our rigs.

'14 stock Big Horn
Airlift 1000's
Stock Goopyear shoes
Blue Ox Swaypro
Gladys (Zinger ZT32QB)
14,760 GCVW
Full Time live aboard with a good woman, lunatic 15 month old and 2 dogs guarding it all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jc55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I recall not long ago a 2500 owner having wagging issues with his TT. Right around the same size as OP's. I watch big rigs wag. Hell, I know there's a better than not chance it'll happen every time I head out. Point being is comfort is a pipe dream in discussions like these. Confidence is the word we need to toss around a little more. Not only in our own abilities but also in our rigs.

'14 stock Big Horn
Airlift 1000's
Stock Goopyear shoes
Blue Ox Swaypro
Gladys (Zinger ZT32QB)
14,760 GCVW
Full Time live aboard with a good woman, lunatic 15 month old and 2 dogs guarding it all.

You're pulling a 34 foot trailer on stock tires and almost max GCVW? How often are you swaying? How fast are you going on the interstates?

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Never more than 65 mph. Every time I map a trip I use the "avoid highways" option on google maps. I avoid interstates at all cost. I've towed alot of stuff so I knew when I got this rig it would come with limitations. I don't sway unless I'm on a crappy rutted road or getting nailed with a wicked crosswind. Both happen but knowing how to control the wag and operating at a speed to do so is key. Bought this truck with the tow pkg/3.92's and I spent two weeks dialing in the WD hitch and trailer brake gain. Without the family in the truck. I've passed/been passed by the 18's and it's just a matter of anticipation and understanding the behavior of the set up. I'll admit I've taken some flack for my numbers on many a forum but the fact remains that I operate within factory limits regardless of how close I come to exceedeing those limits. E rate tires, Bilsteins, etc. are in the plans but those take money. Until then slow and low, that is the tempo. I don't recommend anyone pull what I do but I won't tell them not to if they convince me tbey've got the chops to do it. As I've told other prospective towers all interstates look the damn same. We bought these trucks to drive them, not to get somewhere as fast as we can to get out of them. Enjoy the scenery. Go get lost and end up somewhere you never would have been if you hadn't. Be smart, be safe, enjoy the ride. This post dedicated to Audio1der who seems really bummed out with buyer's regret. I truly hope you find a way to make it work, brother.

L8ERZZZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reading most of the post I feel I sold my family and I short by buying a 13' Ram ST 1500. I've added 275/65/20 BF Goodrich A/T KO tires, Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate airbags and was thinking of ordering a beefier sway bar to tow our TT.
Specs for my trailer as follow:

Length 33'10"
Width 8'0"
Height 11'3"
Interior Height 6'10"
Hitch Weight 733 lbs
Dry Weight 6,407 lbs
Gross Weight 10,893 lbs
Cargo Weight 4,486 lbs
Axle Weight 5,674 lbs
Fresh Water Capacity 40 gals
Grey Water Capacity 35 gals
Black Water Capacity 35 gals
Sleeps 10
Tire Size 14D
Slides 1
I do have the Equalizer WD hitch/sway bar

I started looking at a 2500 6.4 and found a few but probably won't get the same monthly I currently have. One dealership I went to is putting some numbers together tonight and I will follow up with them tomorrow and if they can some how some way get me the same payment I will switch over to a 2014 2500 6.4 Big Horn. They're asking $33k but I know the finance guy and hope he can pull some strings and get me where I would like to be. We will be towing from Central Valley, CA all the way to Anchorage, AK driving through Canada and again after readying most post I feel I should have bought a 2500 to begin with but did not want to stomach the payment. But safety over money at this point. Once we get into AK we'll probably only hook up every other month depending on how the job goes. I'll continue to read all your posts and we'll see how this 2500 works out.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You have the money to buy a 33 foot trailer but not the right truck? The problem with thinking in terms of what can I afford this month. Proof positive.

Get the bigger truck. At 10,893lbs you shouldn't be towing that with a 1500.

L8ERZZZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have the money to buy a 33 foot trailer but not the right truck? The problem with thinking in terms of what can I afford this month. Proof positive.

Get the bigger truck. At 10,893lbs you shouldn't be towing that with a 1500.

Most definitely I don't think anyone would tow max the weight of their trailer. At most the trailer loaded will be 7000-7200lbs. Still riding a fine line with the 1500 but we've had the trailer for sometime and a F-250 but that 250 was stolen and recovered as a total loss, insurance paid loan off. We held off on buying a truck for a while until we received notice to relocate to AK. I agree with you, I should have gotten a bigger truck but did not want a big payment and I got a smokin deal on the 1500 too good to pass up but now I'm rethinking and if all goes well I'll be hooking the trailer up to that 2500.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
After reading most of the post I feel I sold my family and I short by buying a 13' Ram ST 1500. I've added 275/65/20 BF Goodrich A/T KO tires, Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate airbags and was thinking of ordering a beefier sway bar to tow our TT.
Specs for my trailer as follow:

Length 33'10"
Width 8'0"
Height 11'3"
Interior Height 6'10"
Hitch Weight 733 lbs
Dry Weight 6,407 lbs
Gross Weight 10,893 lbs
Cargo Weight 4,486 lbs
Axle Weight 5,674 lbs
Fresh Water Capacity 40 gals
Grey Water Capacity 35 gals
Black Water Capacity 35 gals
Sleeps 10
Tire Size 14D
Slides1
I do have the Equalizer WD hitch/sway bar

I started looking at a 2500 6.4 and found a few but probably won't get the same monthly I currently have. One dealership I went to is putting some numbers together tonight and I will follow up with them tomorrow and if they can some how some way get me the same payment I will switch over to a 2014 2500 6.4 Big Horn. They're asking $33k but I know the finance guy and hope he can pull some strings and get me where I would like to be. We will be towing from Central Valley, CA all the way to Anchorage, AK driving through Canada and again after readying most post I feel I should have bought a 2500 to begin with but did not want to stomach the payment. But safety over money at this point. Once we get into AK we'll probably only hook up every other month depending on how the job goes. I'll continue to read all your posts and we'll see how this 2500 works out.

Unless that truck has 500000 miles to get a 2014 2500 bighorn for 33k is one heck of a deal. I paid 35k otd for my Tradesman.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdog57