4/5-6 drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cullen17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I currently have a belltech 2/4 kit with street performer shocks and im wanting to go lower. Would it be worth the money to buy the McGaughys drop spindles for the front instead of cutting front springs? im thinking geometry and alignment wise would the spindles save me some of the trouble?
As far as cutting springs what is the best method?
and since im here, a half a coil up front is 1 inch and a full coil in the rear is 1 inch correct?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Yes it's worth it. If you trim the springs more then you need to change the shocks and you're putting a lot more strain on the ball joints and other suspension parts, the spindles just change the hub mounting location and everything else stays in the same location except the upper ball joint which comes down a bit.

OP
OP
cullen17

cullen17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ill probably just install the kit as is soonish since i have it and then when i get out of my army training stuff in January ill buy the spindles and cut the rear springs. And when i cut the rear springs ill probably do a custom 4link close to what unbroken did and a custom panhard bar

Jizanthapus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes it's worth it. If you trim the springs more then you need to change the shocks and you're putting a lot more strain on the ball joints and other suspension parts, the spindles just change the hub mounting location and everything else stays in the same location except the upper ball joint which comes down a bit.

This is mostly true. Drop spindles will push your wheels out further and you'll most likely rub your fender if you get past 3" of drop. I have a 2/4 belltech kit cut to 3/5.75 and the front wheels hit the fender liners on hard cornering (even with QA1 shocks, front hellwig sway, 275/55/20 tires). So far, I haven't seen anyone get these trucks very low statically.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
When you use the drop spindle in conjunction with the drop spring, it pulls the front wheels back in so that they do not hit the outer fender. Inner wheel wells are likely going to get torn up, but he shouldn't have any trouble with the wheels sticking out.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you use the drop spindle in conjunction with the drop spring, it pulls the front wheels back in so that they do not hit the outer fender. Inner wheel wells are likely going to get torn up, but he shouldn't have any trouble with the wheels sticking out.

This, except I have no problems with tires meeting inner fender liner.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Do you sell the spindles? Im trying to go lower.