46re acting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
recently bought my 01 1500 5.2 2wd and didn’t notice this issue until now.. I adjusted the front band and replaced the filter and fluid. The last couple of days I’ve noticed it will slip? Or maybe it just goes to neutral when getting on it. But it doesn’t do it till it gets up there in the rpm range. It’s almost like it is getting ready to upshift and misses the shift and hits neutral for a second. Fluid looked good before changing it and it looks new now. Magnet had very little debris on it when changing the fluid. Seems like after it’s been run awhile it quits doing it. What should I do? Check? Look for? Any input is appreciated. here is the link to the YouTube video

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/tFwaGAORCBU

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it only does it on a 2-3 upshift cold, its probably your front clutch seals. Try a good quality trans fluid additive. sometimes it works on those trans. The front clutch seals get hard and an additive will sometimes soften them up again

OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it only does it on a 2-3 upshift cold, its probably your front clutch seals. Try a good quality trans fluid additive. sometimes it works on those trans. The front clutch seals get hard and an additive will sometimes soften them up again

what additive do you think would be best? I’ve used lube guard in the past in other transmissions. Would it be a decent choice for this situation?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know lubegaurd makes some good products im not sure about their trans additives. Does it market it as a seal softener/conditioner? Most modern trans are very fussy about seal softeners and dont recommend them so maybe they have taken them out of their trans additives, but ive never had an issue using them on the torqueflites and its the only thing that helps your condition short of replacing the seals.
Ive used JB and wynns. maybe do an internet search of what works best on your 46RE, Don't see many at the shop anymore.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also make sure your throttle pressure cable is adjusted correctly at the throttle body, its the cable that runs from the throttle body down to the trans. I would think there are utube vidios showing how to do it, very simple.Also have someone sit in the truck(engine off) and push the accelertaor slowly to the floor as you watch underneath on the trans (drivers side where the shift linkage is) the levr on the trans should move smoothly from idle to wide open throttle. there should be a return spring dowm on the trans to pull the lever back at idle

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am going to check the tv cable and the front band here in a few minutes and see what I find if everything is good with those I will throw in a bottle of lube guard red and see what it does.

OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The tv cable was set to tight it was at least 1/8 -1/4 in to tight. So I adjusted to where it should be and readjusted the front band and now it shifts perfect. Better than ever actually!