4wd and abs light caused by animals?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
So my abs and traction control lights went on a few weeks ago. When I start my truck I get a pop up for abs, traction control, and 4wd not available...and the lights stay on. Read up on it in the forums and seems to be a pretty common issue.
I have a 2019 1500 big horn 5.7l with black appearance package. 7 months old and 4000 miles.
Took it to the dealer and they said it looked like an animal chewed on some wires causing a short. Parts weren't available so he had to order them. He said its normally not covered but since the truck is so new they'd cover it under warranty. I asked for the part number and where the wires were located and he said that it was just some wires and connectors that needed to be changed
He wasn't sure where.
Glad theyre fixing it but sounds really strange as I've never had an animal in any of my (or my families) vehicles. Does this sound normal? Anyone have an idea of where the damaged wiring could possibly be so I can see it for myself? I was thinking of finding the wheel speed sensors and just following them back.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh yeah, U can get critters in the ole "tasty" engine compartment. There are a lot of threads ref this and the different things PPL to to keep them out.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd have to call shenanigans if I received that answer from my service department. Not saying it isn't so but they'd have to walk me to the vehicle and show me what they see.

OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I'd have to call shenanigans if I received that answer from my service department. Not saying it isn't so but they'd have to walk me to the vehicle and show me what they see.

I agree...but at the same time they're fixing it so I'm not sure why they'd lie about it.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree...but at the same time they're fixing it so I'm not sure why they'd lie about it.

Not lie per se but it sounds like they are unsure. The old replace this and that and "see" if it fixes it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981