4wd grind with open diff?? I feel like a noob on this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 2500 4x4 w/ open front and rear diffs. I have had it for a few years, but never had deep snow until this weekend. We out to a place with about 12-15 inches of snow and while driving (slow, maybe 5mph) I was making a slight turn (maybe 20-30 degrees tops) I heard a pop. I checked and could find no damage or source of noise at all. Now, when turning fairly far in 4wd Hi I am hearing a grinding noise. I honestly dont remember hearing this before, but most of the time I uses 4wd, it is only for straight runs and it usually not that often. It doesn't sound like the brake lock diff abs engagement also. It is more of a grinding noise.

So, my question.

Should there be any binding/grinding with open diffs? It sounds like its coming from the front, but it could be the transfer case.

Also, pretty sure it is normal to hear w4d slight whine when decelerating right? I could barely hear it. Its not loud or damaged sounding, but it is thetr.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even on snow with open diff? I have never had open diffs before, they were either lockers (which do bind) or LSD. I though open diffs would not bind? By design, one tire can spin while one is standing still.

One thing to note. I did change from Nitto Trail Grapplers to Falken A/T3W tires recently. The Falkens do have more grip in the snow which would mean less slippage, but this feels & sounds like a grind, not a axle bind/pop

Last edited:

nighthawk87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
4wd will bind if there’s no slippage. If it’s doing that then you probably don’t need to be in 4wd. I also get a slight wine when in 4wd hi above 40mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The issue with the traction is this. In 2wd, in 10+ inch deep snow, it just spins even with 400lbs sand in the bed. It needs the weight of the engine over the front tires to get the traction needed to move. In 4wd, there WAS still slippage when starting to move which is why I was surprised to hear the binding. I usually only use the 4wd in sand/mud around here or on straight snow covered roads. Which is why I have not hear it before. This was the first outing with these new tires, and also the first time in deep snow with this truck. I have had other 4x4 RAMs, even back to a 99 4x4 Sport and none of them grinded like this. They would buck/pop, but not grind.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It might be worth taking it to a dealer or a good 4 wheel drive shop you trust and take them for a ride and get their opinion if it is grinding.
Jay

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, its still under the extended warranty, so I think I'm gonna take it to the dealership and ask them. I'm really starting to wonder if it is the transfer case chain slipping.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's not the usual pop and skip type thing that most all of them do, I think it's a good idea to have it checked out. Make sure you ride with them if they take it for a drive.
Jay

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4WD will bind (wrap up drivetrains) because in a turn the front axle spins more than the back (has to travel a slightly longer arch) but the transfercase has locked both drive shafts together preventing them to rotate at different speeds. It doesn't matter if you have locking diffs or open. On a slippery surface the tires will slip. If there is too much traction and the tires won't scrub, the driveline may wind up and you could eventually damage something. You need a dry surface with plenty of traction for this.

You should have no binding problem in 12-15 inches of snow as its pretty easy for the tires to slip a little, but you may feel it. You may have something that broke for another reason and should have it checked.

Oh sorry, didn't notice this was a week old thread.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Word of advise, Turn off ur traction control when in the snow, unless you are used to the vehicle deciding how much power you want going to the wheels.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. We are expecting more snow this week and weekend. I am gonna do more testing and then call the dealer next week.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The open diff is the front not the center, Once you are in 4hi the center is locked, in a turn the fronts are rotating faster so thats where the bind is, its not side to side, its front to back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357