4x4 engage 30mph+ only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pauley09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 09 ram has developed an odd habit. It only wants to engage the 4x4 when going 30mph or slightly above. All other speeds including just creeping with no foot on the pedal just cause the light to blink and the service 4wd light to come on. I can hear the front actuator on the axle cycling but I am not sure what else can be causing this? Is there any way to pull the code? Would nice to be able to engage the 4wd while going slow such as at a boat ramp or when I am actually stuck. Thanks all!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have someone with a scantool hook it up see if it has any codes not your cheap autozone one either my 2011 I put in N and then into 4x4 works fine don't have to move at all.

OP
OP
P

pauley09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you I will see if I can get someone with a decent scanner. The transfer case shift motor is extremely loud when cycling, not sure if that's normal. Going to listen to a buddies tomorrow to compare