4x4 or 2wd limited slip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New 2wd isn't like old 2wd. My 2wd 2015 ram 1500 tradesman won't go at all in snow, but my 94 Honda pilot goes well up to around a foot deep. To me, it's all the traction control and miscellaneous driving aids that really don't help. You loose traction and the computer takes over, compared to older stuff you could manage traction and braking yourself. I'd strongly recommend against getting 2wd, and if I knew how bad modern 2wd trucks are in the snow, I wouldn't have gotten one either.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
New 2wd isn't like old 2wd. My 2wd 2015 ram 1500 tradesman won't go at all in snow, but my 94 Honda pilot goes well up to around a foot deep. To me, it's all the traction control and miscellaneous driving aids that really don't help. You loose traction and the computer takes over, compared to older stuff you could manage traction and braking yourself. I'd strongly recommend against getting 2wd, and if I knew how bad modern 2wd trucks are in the snow, I wouldn't have gotten one either.

Honestly, where I live, I don't know why a person would opt for 2WD. We don't always get lots of snow, but when we do it's a LOT.

I still vividly remember a night (was working 3rd shift) when we got around a foot of snow. There were 3 of us in the shop, two of us with 4WD and one with a 2WD truck. He backed into a snowbank and couldn't get out, so I tugged him out of that. He IMMEDIATELY went right into another one. I hooked back up to him and told him to just steer and leave the truck in neutral...and drug him out to the road. For whatever reason instead of trying to stay in my tracks he kept aiming for the snowbanks...so I just pulled him through them all.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I agree with RamInSC. You don't need it until you do. All my P/U's and SUV's were 4X4
and I would never own one without. You never know when an emergency situation is
going to require four wheel drive. Worth the extra money for a little more peace of mind.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
"No problem getting out." Depends on the beach. Gravel is the worst, but soft sand can get you really stuck.
I will never be without 4wd, but it just gets us stuck in worse places.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of sugar sand in my area offroading ,previous truck was a '98 dodge 1500 2wd got stuck all the time in the littlest of sugar...****** you off to no end when the week before you went through it fine,'88 dakota 4x4 before that.got stuck maybe once with that ride(stupid teen years there)..I don't go much anymore so I have basically street tires on this 4x4...will never own a 2wd again if I can help it.