5.7L oil in the coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillardBerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took my truck to the dealer they said they never had a complaint of oil in the coolant - there is an oil cooler and a transmission cooler on the 2017 model wondering if anyone has had this issue and what the diagnosis was?

The dealer just wanted to replace the overflow tank and flush out the system.

oil.jpeg

oil1.jpeg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah that dealer is full of doohicky, gaskets fail and when they do fluids mix. But I don't see any big issue here, the coolant is still clear. What is the complete history of the cooling system maintenance?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sure that is oil?

FCA likes to dump in stop leak right from the factory.

I know our Jeep was all slimed up like that and many on the Jeep forums have ******* about it. New coolant solved the problem.

I haven't pulled the rad cap off the truck but my overflow looks OK.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is a flush product called rmi-25, it will take anything non coolant and trap it in overflow tank. 16 ounces will do you, maybe even 8.

OP
OP
WillardBerg

WillardBerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I should’ve taken a picture of my coolant dipstick it is full of milky oil I ran the engine with the rad cap off and you can see streams of oil coming to the top and working its way into the overflow. The coolant has never been flushed it has 66,000 km on it. I’m getting the dealer to replace the oil cooler just in case

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
How does your oil look? Also is the oil level low. IDK on the rams if oil pressure is higher at all times than water pressure. My last truck did not have an oil cooler but it had a transmission cooler and water would be in your transmission fluid if it failed.

My waverunners oil cooler is set up that oil pressure is always higher than water pressure so if you have failed oil cooler your oil level will go down

OP
OP
WillardBerg

WillardBerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oil is fine and the level is good the oil PSI runs at 54 and coolant cap is rated for 20 PSI. The teams cooler is external combined with the condenser so that option is out.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Oil is fine and the level is good the oil PSI runs at 54 and coolant cap is rated for 20 PSI. The teams cooler is external combined with the condenser so that option is out.

"I should’ve taken a picture of my coolant dipstick it is full of milky oil I ran the engine with the rad cap off and you can see streams of oil coming to the top and working its way into the overflow. The coolant has never been flushed it has 66,000 km on it. I’m getting the dealer to replace the oil cooler just in case"

How can the oil level be good??? In post #5 you said you can see streams of oil coming into the rad. Are you sure you're not just confused by the new 10 year Oat anti-freeze you have in the truck. If you can see streams of oil coming into the rad when the trucks running,not a chance in hell the oil level hasn't dropped,as even a small so-called stream of oil at 54 psi is going to drop your oil level. Your rad cap looks pretty normal to me.

OP
OP
WillardBerg

WillardBerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it appears I caught the failure right away. The OAT coolant will not change colour in any way so there’s no confusion there. Unfortunately I had wiped off the rad cap 2 days before I took that pic it was caked with oil.
All and all I’m getting oil from somewhere. My oil cooler arrives today if it stays clean I’m happy

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well it appears I caught the failure right away. The OAT coolant will not change colour in any way so there’s no confusion there. Unfortunately I had wiped off the rad cap 2 days before I took that pic it was caked with oil.
All and all I’m getting oil from somewhere. My oil cooler arrives today if it stays clean I’m happy

Keep us updated then. I know in my truck the Oat coolant does change colour after it's been in the rad for a week or 2. Looks very similiar to your coolant,and my 14 doesn't have the oil pre-heater/cooler,but uses the same 10 year Oat coolant as your truck does.Still confused why your oil level hasn't dropped though,something doesn't add up if it's pumping oil into the rad as fast as you're claiming.Did you pressure test the cooling system,as a leak in the cooler should show up under a pressure test

OP
OP
WillardBerg

WillardBerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with not dropping my oil level, I assumed the oil cooler was under the powertrain warranty so I took it to the dealer right away they stated not warranty. I didn't PSI test the cooling system but I did ask for the oil cooler back if there wasn't a core charge on it then I'll put regulated air PSI to it and see if it fails even if I have to duplicate the temperature the cooler sits at under normal driving conditions. I have seen the oil levels stay the same on Cummins engines with a leaking cooler but that was because the coolant was going into the oil as was the oil into the coolant.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I'm no expert just a shade tree mechanic but I've owned plenty of vehicles and that cap does NOT look normal to me, that looks like a milkshake and is a sign of oil in the coolant just as OP said.
I've seen this before although it was a blown head gasket if I remember. It doesn't take much oil to do this so you won't necessarily notice a major oil loss.
Again just my experience, hopefully all will be well with the new cooler and a really good flush of the cooling system, best of luck to ya.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I agree with not dropping my oil level, I assumed the oil cooler was under the powertrain warranty so I took it to the dealer right away they stated not warranty. I didn't PSI test the cooling system but I did ask for the oil cooler back if there wasn't a core charge on it then I'll put regulated air PSI to it and see if it fails even if I have to duplicate the temperature the cooler sits at under normal driving conditions. I have seen the oil levels stay the same on Cummins engines with a leaking cooler but that was because the coolant was going into the oil as was the oil into the coolant.
Ok man good luck I hope all goes well!

OP
OP
WillardBerg

WillardBerg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got it back from the dealer 1100.00 after taxes they flushed the cooling system but used 2 jugs of coolant (not a true flush) changed my oil, replaced the oil cooler and replaced my surge tank. they didn't deny there was oil in there. I PSI tested my oil cooler at 190'f with 60 PSI air and it never leaked. Now worried about a possible head gasket that may be starting to fail. Odd though for 66,000 km's no steam out the tailpipe or residue on the oil fill cap. here's a pic of testing the oil cooler - wished the dealer would do that kind of diag.

ssssssssssssssssssssss.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Got it back from the dealer 1100.00 after taxes they flushed the cooling system but used 2 jugs of coolant (not a true flush) changed my oil, replaced the oil cooler and replaced my surge tank. they didn't deny there was oil in there. I PSI tested my oil cooler at 190'f with 60 PSI air and it never leaked. Now worried about a possible head gasket that may be starting to fail. Odd though for 66,000 km's no steam out the tailpipe or residue on the oil fill cap. here's a pic of testing the oil cooler - wished the dealer would do that kind of diag.

View attachment 212958

I'd pressure test the cooling system before going much farther. Any Mom n Pop auto shop should be able to pressure test it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They probably should have tested for a head gasket before spending 1100 dollars of your money if they feel there was oil in the coolant. If there is a head gasket needed, I'm sure small claims in your area could get your money back. kind of mess now, good luck Burla

garymtx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took my truck to the dealer they said they never had a complaint of oil in the coolant - there is an oil cooler and a transmission cooler on the 2017 model wondering if anyone has had this issue and what the diagnosis was?

The dealer just wanted to replace the overflow tank and flush out the system.

View attachment 212849

View attachment 212850

If you're unsure where it's coming from.....ALWAYS start with the simplest/easiest/least expensive stuff first. Therefore, start with a complete flush and refill. If it comes back, THEN check the cooler, then the head gaskets.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for coming in late here...
I know you have oil in your coolant, but do you have coolant in the oil/crankcase of the engine?
Normally, your OIL dipstick will also have some "foam" on it in one place or another if you are getting coolant/water in the oil.
If you have foam on the oil dipstick, then probably nothing they did will fix your problem. Could be more serious, but as somebody else suggested, work from the easy fix to the hard fix...
Good luck! Keep us in the loop...