A/C musty smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeagri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anybody have A/C musty smell problem. I live in south Florida and I notice when I use the recir on the A/C I get a very bad smell. When it's in the A/C drawing in outside air it seems to be ok. Bought the 2019 Laramie last July new and I have 12K miles and now the very bad musty smell. Gonna take it in to the dealer for 2 recalls and also complain about the smell.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Condensation build up in the box and on the coils, if you run the outside air a few minutes before you turn off the truck itll fix that problem.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that's all it takes? Thanks

Yup, let it run on outside are a few minutes and it goes away. Youll notice when you change from recirculate to outside youll get a blast of the musty air. Goes away pretty quick that way.

If its stuck in the coils there are products to clean them out as well. Really its a disinfectant to kill the mold. I personally recommend the fogger style ones over the ozone ones.

Scott2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Central Florida and you have to change your cabin air filter.I guarantee it’s full of mold already.You May have to clean the coils as well since you already have that many miles.I just changed mine with only 6000 miles on my truck and it already was starting to get moldy.The cabin air filter is located behind the lower glove box.

OP
OP
joeagri

joeagri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I thought of that but it's not a year old yet. Thanks for the advice. I will change the filter. The smell goes away when you use the outside air and not recirculation.
Thanks, Joe

Dannyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had to change mine twice in the 16k and 1 1/2 years of ownership. Very molded and musty smelling. Does anyone now what the cause is?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Florida air......:33:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
run it for a few min with no AC just before you shut the truck off, check the drain hole and tube in the condenser box, dust turns to mud and plugs the drain, condensation then sits there and mold begins to grow. spay the box, cabin filter, and into the intake vents under wiper cowl with lysol disinfectant.