Coolant smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JASONB42186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
In fixed the punctured heater inlet pipe that ran into the water pump, now I am having a coolant smell from the outside. Not inside the truck so I don’t think it’s the heater core. No leaks anywhere on the truck and oil looks free of coolant. Temp gauge is still going from normal to a tick below halfway. Never overheating. Can someone help with suggestions

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hose(s) going to the overflow/coolant bottle are not vented, and will give you a coolant smell. Got the same thing on MY 19, which is a 5th Gen. But that does not mean the possibility of a pinhole leak somewhere, just saying. Also, sometimes the radiator caps are suspect, and need to be replaced. Again, just depends. No A to B answer here.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
All of my 4th Gen HEMI RAM trucks in the past and current truck sometimes smells of antifreeze on the outside as well. No leaks on any of them inside or out.

Imho, I don't believe that the plastic cap on the"over flow"/radiator return recovery tank seals off well enough from keeping the smell of antifreeze from escaping.

Welcome to RAMforums.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i recently found the coolant air bleed plug on my truck with 133k miles had an extremely slow leak.

Above the water pump, hex bolt. If it’s developed a leak there will be very light discoloration of the metal below it..

Easy to take out and reseal with some coolant safe sealant if it is a culprit.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All of my 4th Gen HEMI RAM trucks in the past and current truck sometimes smells of antifreeze on the outside as well. No leaks on any of them inside or out.

Imho, I don't believe that the plastic cap on the"over flow"/radiator return recovery tank seals off well enough from keeping the smell of antifreeze from escaping.

Welcome to RAMforums.
NOPE, it sure does not seal well. Prefer a screw on cap like the old GM's, but alas......

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In fixed the punctured heater inlet pipe that ran into the water pump, now I am having a coolant smell from the outside. Not inside the truck so I don’t think it’s the heater core. No leaks anywhere on the truck and oil looks free of coolant. Temp gauge is still going from normal to a tick below halfway. Never overheating. Can someone help with suggestions
Run it through your local coin-op carwash and wash the engine off,if you're worried about the alternator cover it with a plastic bag,sometimes you'll have spilled coolant that'll stink for along time unless you wash it off.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck has that smell since I drove it from the stealership. I cant idle in traffic with the AC going the gauge will move 3/4 from overheat.
Sounds like your coolant is low, leak or you have air in the system.

You should be able to idle stationary in 100° ambient with the ac on without overheating.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The hose(s) going to the overflow/coolant bottle are not vented, and will give you a coolant smell. Got the same thing on MY 19, which is a 5th Gen. But that does not mean the possibility of a pinhole leak somewhere, just saying. Also, sometimes the radiator caps are suspect, and need to be replaced. Again, just depends. No A to B answer here.

sorry but there is no overflow bottle. those were 25yrs ago. its called a expansion tank. the entire system is sealed and pressured. the small hose leading out of the tank lets off gas or vapor or whatever you wanna call it , which is commonly the source of the smell.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
sorry but there is no overflow bottle. those were 25yrs ago. its called a expansion tank. the entire system is sealed and pressured. the small hose leading out of the tank lets off gas or vapor or whatever you wanna call it , which is commonly the source of the smell.
You should really go look at your truck before you comment.The "overflow" bottle on the trucks has a plastic cap/dipstick that by no means is sealed.An expansion tank has a "radiator" cap on the expansion tank,ie: what's on the cars,the trucks still use an overflow bottle as the rad cap is still on the radiator

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
we must have different trucks. my caps on the bottle. there is no overflowing into a nonpressured resorvoir. take care my man and have a fine day

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
we must have different trucks. my caps on the bottle. there is no overflowing into a nonpressured resorvoir. take care my man and have a fine day
Just noticed you have a 2500 with the 6.4 and it is differant then a 5.7 1500,and in this case the OP's truck is a 5.7 1500,which uses an overflow bottle as the rad cap is on the radiator.You should of specified you had a 2500 with a 6.4,then i would of believed you,as they are differant systems

1500's coolant tank

2500 with 6.4 coolent bottle,notice any differance,lol

Last edited:

Dutra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like your coolant is low, leak or you have air in the system.

You should be able to idle stationary in 100° ambient with the ac on without overheating.

Definitely no leaks and the coolant is not low. Maybe air in the system I can check that. The truck wont overheat right away. When in traffic with the ac full blast the gauge starts to move when sitting about 30 mins or so. I have another thread on that issue

20092500HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, buy some radiator dye and a radiator pressure tool. Then just scan the top and bottom of the engine with a black light flashlight and it will make the leak glow. You can also place a large piece of cardboard under the engine over night. In the morning the cardboard should have a wet spot. You should be closer now to finding the location.

Neomoritate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello, buy some radiator dye and a radiator pressure tool. Then just scan the top and bottom of the engine with a black light flashlight and it will make the leak glow. You can also place a large piece of cardboard under the engine over night. In the morning the cardboard should have a wet spot. You should be closer now to finding the location.
Before you add the dye, thoroughly check the engine with the blacklight, and clean any glowing areas.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I don't know about the hemis, but we had 2 '14 Jeeps and BOTH of them cracked the thermostat housing. Took them both in for warranty repair and drove off with the truck

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look at the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump . When the wp starts to go bad , you’ll sometimes see discoloring under the wp & the bottom of the lower rad hose as well. I didn’t see what your mileage is. I get about 150k out of the water pump on a gen3 5.7. & yes wash it off after any repairs , because coolant on the engine will smell for awhile.

Cruzrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
I have a 2016 1500 3.6 and after a drive I park in the garage walk past the front end and catch a wiff of coolant it's not leaking so it must be the expansion tank venting.