About to replace lifters...any performace mods while doing so?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geauxtac260

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Guys!

My 2013 Ram w/5.7 hemi (139K miles) recently developed a really annoying tapping noise. I brought it into my dealer and the tech walked right up to it, listened for about 10 seconds and said a lifter was bad. Minute or two later they had a quote done up to the tune of about $4500. Want to replace all the lifters and cam shaft.

I wasn't going to shell out that kind of cash without doing some research, so off to the internet to see what I could learn. I came across this forum and just found a video another member (RAMNC) posted and the sound he had was IDENTICAL to what I'm hearing. His problem ended up being a bad lifter.

My boss has agreed to pitch in (40k miles a year on this truck for my job) and recommended a local engine shop. He's had this guy build him several hot rods and whatnot over the years.

My question is this, are there any mods I should be looking at while we have the engine down? Non-mds lifters? Maybe a performance camshaft by Arrington or similar? I don't really know much about this type of stuff, but I definitely don't want to be back in this spot anytime soon. Anything I can do to improve reliability and performance would be great.

I already have the redline 5w 30 and RP filter enroute from Summit :)

Thanks!

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is just my thinking but I'd put it back together as close to stock as possible only because of the mileage you put on per year for work. Pretty much any performance upgrades is going to cost you at the pump. I'd go with a set of shorties. I believe with the non MDS lifters you'd need a tuner to turn that part of the computer off(I think, not sure). What brand and weight of oil were you running before? At that mileage I'd also go with new water pump, t stat, hoses, pcv valve. I'd also install oil catch can if you don't already have one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a side note I'd get a second opinion on the actual problem. Exhaust manifold bolts could be you're problem, similar sound. Dealer could have been looking to make a fast $4500.

OP
OP
G

geauxtac260

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got back from the local engine shop and they also said it sounded like a lifter. I'll try to get a video of the sound and upload here in case anyone else wants to hear. With 139K miles they said they could certainly replace the lifters and save some money, but they would recommend a complete rebuild. Waiting on a quote now to see what it'll run me.

Ramnewbie...after thinking about it I think you might be right about leaving it close to stock. They pretty much said the same thing. I have run nothing but 5w 20 Mobile 1 since I got the truck with 13k miles on it. I don't have (and until now didn't even know they existed) an oil catch can, but will def be looking into that.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're considering a full rebuild you might want to check the prices on a reman'd long block. Most of those come with some kind of warranty. I have no idea what the price is though.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you're considering a full rebuild you might want to check the prices on a reman'd long block. Most of those come with some kind of warranty. I have no idea what the price is though.

Just priced out a brand new 6.4 longblock from the dealer,i didn't price out the 5.7,but odds are it should be cheaper.The 6,4 out the door retail in Canadian funds is $7400,and the dealer said he could beat that by a fair bit.So they aren't all that bad to buy outright even from a dealer,and they come with a 3yr warrenty.

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Install a cam. Only other performance mods really in the same process of things would be a set of ported heads but you'd also want a cam to take advantage of the head work.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
On another forum, some replaced a 5.7 hemi with the 6.4. bolted right in. All 5.7 accessories bolted right up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have thought of that too. Trouble is finding the motor. I did find a used one for $6500 with at 5yr/50k warranty.

Price out a longblock 6.4 at your local dealer,the majority ofl the external parts off your 5.7 bolt-on,making it a virtual bolt-in,and they have a 3 yr warrenty.You will want a custom tune though

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since he's talking about MDS I'm assuming he has a 1500. The 6.4 upgrade would add value. I've talked to several people that said they wished ram would put the 6.4 in a 1500, they'd buy one in a second.

OP
OP
G

geauxtac260

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well this took an unexpected direction. After talking with my boss a little more, I think we're just gonna take the money he agreed to spend on a rebuild ($6K) and put it down on a new truck. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Claytoris

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar Silver
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well this took an unexpected direction. After talking with my boss a little more, I think we're just gonna take the money he agreed to spend on a rebuild ($6K) and put it down on a new truck. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sounds like you have an excellent boss [emoji1360]

OP
OP
G

geauxtac260

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for the delay but I figured I'd update the post...

So, after looking around for another truck I decided to go ahead and keep mine! It's in the shop now (been there for a couple weeks actually) and I just ordered the HPT Cam from Matt over at Moe's, along with the Diablosport T2 w/Hemifever Tune, and the edge racing torque converter. Really hoping this will bring this truck to life. Decided to delete the MDS and replaced all the lifters with NON-MDS lifters. Engine is getting a complete rebuild, top to bottom.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Sorry for the delay but I figured I'd update the post...

So, after looking around for another truck I decided to go ahead and keep mine! It's in the shop now (been there for a couple weeks actually) and I just ordered the HPT Cam from Matt over at Moe's, along with the Diablosport T2 w/Hemifever Tune, and the edge racing torque converter. Really hoping this will bring this truck to life. Decided to delete the MDS and replaced all the lifters with NON-MDS lifters. Engine is getting a complete rebuild, top to bottom.
Awesome. I did the HPT cam and replaced all lifters too. I'd be curious to know what kind of valvetrain noise you get. Mine is pretty chatty with the cam now but it runs great. I'm about 600 miles post install.

I wish I would've done the converter, it is definitely needed with this cam. I'm already looking at the 2800-3000 stall very soon to get my launch back.

I'd say you are going to be very very happy.

OP
OP
G

geauxtac260

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome. I did the HPT cam and replaced all lifters too. I'd be curious to know what kind of valvetrain noise you get. Mine is pretty chatty with the cam now but it runs great. I'm about 600 miles post install.

I wish I would've done the converter, it is definitely needed with this cam. I'm already looking at the 2800-3000 stall very soon to get my launch back.

I'd say you are going to be very very happy.

Yeah I was going to wait on the torque converter but my engine guy said they wouldn't charge me a penny of labor to install since they already had the motor out, so I jumped on it. 2800-3000, that's exactly what Matt recommended. I was borderline between the HPT and the HPS (High performance street). Matt said the HPT was a great all around cam.

Trying to decide where to go next...throttle body, CAI, etc.

I'm pretty pumped.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Yeah I was going to wait on the torque converter but my engine guy said they wouldn't charge me a penny of labor to install since they already had the motor out, so I jumped on it. 2800-3000, that's exactly what Matt recommended. I was borderline between the HPT and the HPS (High performance street). Matt said the HPT was a great all around cam.

Trying to decide where to go next...throttle body, CAI, etc.

I'm pretty pumped.

I'm identical miles to you, right at 139k on my 2011, and it was a #3 lifter that wiped a lobe. #1 was starting to get some wear as well.

The intake is worth it, you may consider headers at some point. I did shorties just to get better flow over the stock manifolds.

I'm also running 87mm TB. A lot of people say it isn't worth it but I noticed more responsiveness immediately and your tuner will update the tune for it.

Another cheap easy mod is the 180 degree tstat. Super easy to access and change in your driveway with minimal coolant replacement needed.

Post updates when you get it back!!!

OP
OP
G

geauxtac260

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well...now at 215k miles and truck is back in the shop. Lifter failure again. If you look through this thread you’ll see I upgraded the cam and went with non-mds lifters. Redline 5-30 and RP oils filter every oil change.

Waiting to hear if the cam was ruined or not...

This is so frustrating. Really wanted to trade in on a Power Wagon but recent threads on lifter failure on the 6.4, along with the local Ram parts manager telling me they go through 6.4 cams and lifters just like they do the 5.7 has me considering switching brands. Thankfully my company pays for my maintenance and is taking care of all these repairs, but I doubt the boss would be excited if I went to another Ram truck after having to do this twice.