ABS sensor tests

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0x00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know if the vehicle has to be driven before a replaced ABS sensor will 'clear' the code?

2003 DR1500, 5.7, 268K miles.
I have two front WSS. Scan tool reported bad left front, open circuit. Removed the part and it is indeed open circuit.
The other one was a spare I removed when replacing wheel bearing on one side or the other. I assume it's good or I wouldn't have kept it.

The scan tool says 'sensor error' but no longer reports open circuit. The coil resistance of the 'assumed good' sensor is 1.000K ohm (exactly 1K ohm).
I didn't want to bother torqueing the caliper mount, putting the wheel spacer (so I can run chains) and then wheel back on before checking codes and proving the sensor.

I wonder if that code won't clear completely until the vehicle has run both static and dynamic tests AS WELL AS the 15mph running tests?
The FSS suggests ignition on runs both static and dynamic and later a third, 15 mph test is run. Anyone know if they were sloppy with the language or if there is really a 'dynamic' test that happens without moving the vehicle?

Appreciate any commentary on this!
ms

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I have a 2004.5 diesel and the ABS controller is defective. They are notorious for failure and no replacement exists. Also it's very likely you do need to drive it and let the computer go thru some cycles. Sooo many of the modules or check lights are like that. I'm rolling without ABS:eek: just like the old days, but with all new rotors, calipers and pads. Brakes are great! But I don't live in a bad snow/ice area. In fact, I like my old truck brakes better than the new one. I can pump the new pedal and get a stronger pedal and I'm going to post a question to others if theirs is like that or if I have factory air in the lines.

OP
OP

0x00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
could be air. could be the flex lines, air in abs. some are hard to bleed.....I don't know about the trucks. Best pedal feel I ever had was Porsche Cayenne S. But they are known for that. I am in dry climate but still try to flush about every 5 years with DOT 4 LMA (don't use DOT 5 unless you have really, really thought it through).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357