Absolutely confused on headlight bulb selection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fsClovis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had the NINEO LEDs (6500K # 12000LM H11) for over a year and absolutely love them in a 2017 Express. The are a direct replacement, no changes to wiring or mounting.
I do a lot of pre-dawn driving (road and dirt) for hunting and the upgrade from OEM is incredible.
As long as your beams are adjusted correctly you will be ok. These bulbs are fully adjustable. I parked the car facing the garage about 30 feet away. took a picture of the pattern with original bulbs. Then I installed the new ones and rotated the left one until the pattern matched the picture. Install was simple, you just have to find a good pocket to stash and secure (zip-ties) the control box that is connected to each bulb, there is plenty of room on the RAM for that.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDOWGY3/

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've found the OEM headlights are quite adequate. I drive the speed limit and have never had a problem. Some out-drive their headlights maybe if you don't drive like you stole it it might help.

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've found the OEM headlights are quite adequate. I drive the speed limit and have never had a problem. Some out-drive their headlights maybe if you don't drive like you stole it it might help.

That’s great and all, but when there are holes in the light output so big that I feel I need to run hi-beams in my lit neighborhood at 10 under the limit (25 mph top speed in my neighborhood. Too many kids running around to chance more than that...), the lighting in MY truck is clearly not adequate at any speed.

I’ve seen you pick this argument in other people’s threads on lighting. Doesn’t make sense to me why you would presume to know anything about the way anybody else drives? Tell me, do I drive faster in my truck than in my wife’s Buick? Or my previous truck( an ‘08 Chevy), or in my company truck (‘16 Chevy)? The lighting is superior in all 3 of those vehicles. Even the bone stock halogen bulbs in my ‘70 Chevy outperformed the stock lighting in this truck.

Maybe you’ve got better stock lights? Maybe you’ve got a factory projector truck? The quads on mine from the factory were not up to par for modern lighting in a vehicle.

Besides, how does it hurt to get more light out in front of my truck as long as it’s not blinding other drivers?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Most of the time, i drive on highways & the stock lighting is just OK

When i need to drive on a country 2 lane road & i am the only one on the road & there are no street lights, it is no stroll in the park.

When it rains on that same country road, i have to turn on my LED Fog Light bar to see anything

Ram buys the cheapest headlights possible
When Sylvania supplied the headlight bulbs They had the choice of
ZEVO LED
SilverStar zXe Gold
SilverStar zXe
Yellow Fog
SilverStar Ultra
SilverStar
XtraVision

Basic
OE Quality

They went with Xtravision

I think that they used Philips the last time i replaced one

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you are replacing either 1 or both headlights
Make sure that the Vents are in the correct position.
I know that most of you have seen vehicles with a lot of moisture in the headlight, someone accidently pushed the vent partially or fully closed