Accident Safety

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Came across this article about how the new Cybertruck doesn't really have crumple zones to reduce vehicle impact forces in an accident. Instead the engineers are saying the Gigacasting will shatter into small pieces to absorb the impact.
Is it just me or does that sound possibly safe for the occupants of the Cybertruck but more dangerous for the other vehicle(s) involved or around the accident along with any pedestrians. Flying shrapnel doesn't really sound all that safe.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Came across this article about how the new Cybertruck doesn't really have crumple zones to reduce vehicle impact forces in an accident. Instead the engineers are saying the Gigacasting will shatter into small pieces to absorb the impact.
Is it just me or does that sound possibly safe for the occupants of the Cybertruck but more dangerous for the other vehicle(s) involved or around the accident along with any pedestrians. Flying shrapnel doesn't really sound all that safe.

I used to do demolitions. I seriously doubt it's a concern. There's nothing to shape the energy, the sectional density of any shrapnel will be terrible, and it's contained inside all the other bits of the truck. I just don't see it having enough energy to penetrate the sheet metal. In the video, there's zero sign of impact on the floor under the truck.

What's a bigger concern to me is the amount of energy transfer that will take place along the frame. Crumple zones exist for not only the obvious reason of absorbing energy but also absorbing energy *there* before it travels further along the frame. I don't see how you could mimic this with a casting of uniform strength. Maybe there's angles built in to weaken certain areas? Or would that count as a crumple zone and not line up with the statement from Tesla? Given that this thing is heavy AF and the brittle nature of castings, I don't see it being safer than traditional crumple zones for occupants. That's outside my wheelhouse, though, maybe I'm missing something.