Accidentally put 91 Oct in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lotsa vids online that show no performance diff in the average pump fuels no matter the octane rateing,UNLESS its been tuned for it.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
91 octane here too regardless of what the manual says. i've experimented a little more with it adding 2* more to the timing table in the tune, after all the truck is supposed to be tuned for 87 ?, lost little more than 1mpg consistant,i've also removed 2*globally to go in the opposite direction, and the MPG loss is not as bad as adding timing, but not as good as with the stock timing table. it's a crazy thing, oh well, stock timing yields a little better MPG with 91 in my case, i don't know if it's a Socal gas thing or what, but my brother in law V6 Camaro pings like a **** on 87 every time summer comes, same as his Honda Accord, i don't have the heart to do that do my truck, i know the sentiment the Hemi is supposed to run on 87, i don't care, 91 is all she gets in my case, the difference in price is 20 cents between 87 and 91, and i pump 20 gallons at a time, the difference is $4 more per tank......

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5.7 Hemi is spose to be run on 89 but can be ran on 87.
That's kinda like sayin it's spose to use 5/20, lots of disagreement on that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Its alittle different, 87 is stepping down in power and a minimum requirement while 89 gets you more power , mileage and a better running truck.

I guess in a sence running 87 is like running 5w20, both are sacrificing something, one is power and mileage and the other is protection and engine longevity.