Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Okay great thank you.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
It does not. There are separate mics for hands-free and ANC.

If you have ANC then you have 6 little mic grills in the headliner. There are 4 in the front (2 for hands-free and 2 for ANC) and 2 in the back (both for ANC).

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I dont use hands-free phone so like brian42 says. I unplugged mine where they plug in under the driver seat soon after I bought it. all good since

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Why is this even in the trucks? Sounds like it does not do its purpose. My manual says federal law says it has to be maintained every 7,500mi. And shouldn't be tampered with. Maintain WHAT??? Sounds like alot of people are having problems with it. Its in my truck,, why? I'am chasing a drive train problem in a brand new 2022, 2500 and I'am trying to eliminate this as a possible culprit. The drive train problem is a harmonic,,, droning sound,, at 40 to 50 thru ,,maybe 70mph,, With slight mechanical vibration in the steering wheel. Very slight. Any ideas?

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

If you have ANC then you have 6 little mic grills in the headliner. There are 4 in the front (2 for hands-free and 2 for ANC) and 2 in the back (both for ANC).
I only have four mics in the headliner.

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

So if I dont have 6 mics,, I dont have anc? It was on my build sheet but not on the window sticker.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I only have four mics in the headliner.
I've got two, one over each front seat but I believe these are temperature sensors and not mics. I have a 2022 1500 Longhorn ECODiesel with the Level 1 package (everything but the kitchen sink), no sunroof or RAM boxes. I believe the mics for Uconnect are in the rearview mirror assembly.

I've searched the owners' manual and the Uconnect 5 manual and the only reference I found to ANC is in the fuse box section where F12 is called out for "Mod Audio Amplifier/Active Noise Cancellation". Looking at the various 1500 build sheets I think I have identified a pattern, ANC is only listed in build sheets that also list the HEMI. My samples are few but they were consistent. I talked to my salesperson and he didn't know anything about ANC.

So I guess I'm perplexed. No discussion of the feature in the manuals, not installed in ECODiesels (didn't look at HD build sheets). So the question remains, what sounds are they wanting to cancel? And if my samples are correct, it is focused on sound made by the HEMI driveline.

Last edited:

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Good point. ANC is only in the HEMI trucks. The Pentastar V-6 and ED do not have ANC.

ANC comes with the HEMI. It was not on my window sticker either as it's not a separate option you can get.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Good point. ANC is only in the HEMI trucks. The Pentastar V-6 and ED do not have ANC.

ANC comes with the HEMI. It was not on my window sticker either as it's not a separate option you can get.
I did some more looking around at build sheets, ANC is on all HD's, gas or diesel. Just the Pentastar and the ECODiesel are without ANC, the plot thickens. It will be one of those "so whats" if we ever discover ANC's purpose. But I'm thinking, the ECODiesel is very quiet, inside and out. Never heard or drove a Pentastar so I don't know about it. May have something to do with an exhaust drone but I've never heard anyone complain about droning from a stock Cummins.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
It will be one of those "so whats" if we ever discover ANC's purpose. But I'm thinking, the ECODiesel is very quiet, inside and out. Never heard or drove a Pentastar so I don't know about it. May have something to do with an exhaust drone but I've never heard anyone complain about droning from a stock Cummins.
ANC has been around for awhile (e.g. noise-cancelling headphones) and works on the principle of detecting undesirable sound waves and emitting sound waves 180 degrees out of phase to cancel them out before they reach your ears.

For our trucks it's 'tuned' mostly for exhaust and engine noise. From the Mopar website (MOPAR.com - ANC):

Your vehicle is equipped with an Active Noise Cancellation System. This system is designed to address exhaust and engine noise. The system relies on four microphones embedded in the headliner, which monitor exhaust and engine noise, and assists an onboard frequency generator, which creates counteracting sound waves in the audio system’s speakers. This helps keep the vehicle quiet at idle and during drive.

As for drone the engineers design that out of the stock exhaust through various methods (pipe sizes, baffles, j-pipes, mufflers, etc.) to ensure the quietest ride possible as they don't know if a gearhead or a grandma is buying the truck...and they want to appeal to both.

All the anti-drone engineering, though, comes at a price. Not only does it rob you of the sweet exhaust note your engine is putting out but all that design takes up space and adds weight.

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok! Pulled fuse F71 (amp/ Act Noise Cnsl). The anc was AMPLYIFING the droning noise, not canceling it. But now I know its not an anc problem but a drive train problem. pulling F71 also shut off the sound in my radio. Still had the display, just no sound. (understood "AMP"). In your 2022-2500/3500 service manual, page 406. "Federal law to illegally tamper with the ANC system",,, WHY?

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Why is this even in the trucks? Sounds like it does not do its purpose. My manual says federal law says it has to be maintained every 7,500mi. And shouldn't be tampered with. Maintain WHAT??? Sounds like alot of people are having problems with it. Its in my truck,, why? I'am chasing a drive train problem in a brand new 2022, 2500 and I'am trying to eliminate this as a possible culprit. The drive train problem is a harmonic,,, droning sound,, at 40 to 50 thru ,,maybe 70mph,, With slight mechanical vibration in the steering wheel. Very slight. Any ideas?
I read another post from someone with similar issues. Ended up that his driveline wasn’t tightens to spec and was vibrating because it it. The dealer tightend to spec and his issues went away.

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is not a problem, is a issue that begins when you add a aftermarket bass or in some cases just changing a speaker for a aftermarket. What happen is like a feedback, increasing some frequencies to the audio system cause this issue. The "solution" is canceling this feature, in this case the microphones, in hondas the microphones as well in gmc and Cadillac cutting the speed sense wire that go to the factory amplifier.
Kalill ,,I have the droning noise and I'am not changing anything. I pulled the ANC fuse which canceled the drone but not the drive train vibration that was causing the drone.

cdntrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ok! Pulled fuse F71 (amp/ Act Noise Cnsl). The anc was AMPLYIFING the droning noise, not canceling it. But now I know its not an anc problem but a drive train problem. pulling F71 also shut off the sound in my radio. Still had the display, just no sound. (understood "AMP"). In your 2022-2500/3500 service manual, page 406. "Federal law to illegally tamper with the ANC system",,, WHY?
Just to be clear the federal law quoted has to do with the exterior sound emitted by the exhaust of the vehicle.

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I found it.

Looking at the harness the ANC wire colors are (Main color/ Stripe Color)

Mic 1- Brown/Orange + | Brown/Violet -

Mic 2- Brown/White + | Brown/Grey -

Mic 3- Orange/Dark Blue + | Orange Dark Green -

Mic 4- Orange/Green + | Orange Blue -
OK,, took the plunge on cutting the ANC speakers from the amp. First of all, the headliner speakers in my 2022 Ram 2500 do not have plugs. They are hardwired. I advise you to NOT pull the anc speakers down. They might not go back in. So I went with the pull the wires from the connecter at the amp. Watched a vid on it and got all 4 wires out and taped them up. If you do it you will need a jewelers flathead screwdriver. Truck is much quieter! Thanks for all your help in these posts.