Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
If you are having droning/vibrations problems during ECO (MDS mode) or feedback through the sound system, this ANC bypass harness will disable ANC mics. This bypass harness is plug and play verses pulling the ANC mic pins from the connector that plugs into the amp. There is a TSB software flash (TSB 08-033-19) for this problem, but it seems to have a low percentage of fixing the problem.

https://lljcustoms.com/store?olsPage=products/2019-ram-anc-bypass

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the link.

I am apparently one of the few that the TSB was successful for but I will save this nugget as a backup.

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do all 19s have the ANC? I have a 2500 and don't see the box under driver seat. I do have the mics in headliner...

Having a horrible drone at 2k rpm after changing 6x9 speakers in doors

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found it.

Looking at the harness the ANC wire colors are (Main color/ Stripe Color)

Mic 1- Brown/Orange + | Brown/Violet -

Mic 2- Brown/White + | Brown/Grey -

Mic 3- Orange/Dark Blue + | Orange Dark Green -

Mic 4- Orange/Green + | Orange Blue -

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had the drone.....after escalating the problem through dealership and Ram Cares....they performed two downloads and fixed the problem. I recommend the downloads even if they say you done need them. See thread under 5th generation.....all info is there.

Will S

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
I am ready to replace my 2000 GMC truck, and narrowed it down to Ford F150 and RAM 1500 5.7. I have seen a few threads about this noise cancelling system, and the drone noise at certain speeds. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Where is the noise coming from, and if RAM puts a noise-cancelling system on the truck, why doesn't it work? Why would disabling the system, solve the problem? Or did RAM try to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am ready to replace my 2000 GMC truck, and narrowed it down to Ford F150 and RAM 1500 5.7. I have seen a few threads about this noise cancelling system, and the drone noise at certain speeds. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Where is the noise coming from, and if RAM puts a noise-cancelling system on the truck, why doesn't it work? Why would disabling the system, solve the problem? Or did RAM try to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
This is not a problem, is a issue that begins when you add a aftermarket bass or in some cases just changing a speaker for a aftermarket. What happen is like a feedback, increasing some frequencies to the audio system cause this issue. The "solution" is canceling this feature, in this case the microphones, in hondas the microphones as well in gmc and Cadillac cutting the speed sense wire that go to the factory amplifier.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque

I wouldn't sweat the ANC if purchasing a RAM as it hasn't been an issue for most of us. I have two 2019 Rams in the family and have had no issues with ANC or any other issues for that matter (I did have a harmonic cross wind issue once but nothing since) so neither have been to the shop with issues...just oil changes/regular maintenance. I'd be more concerned about the engine you may inherit in the Ford. The Hemi is a solid engine and the eight speed tranny is doing very well. The ride in the Ram is superior to the Ford.

Will S

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
I wouldn't sweat the ANC if purchasing a RAM as it hasn't been an issue for most of us. I have two 2019 Rams in the family and have had no issues with ANC or any other issues for that matter (I did have a harmonic cross wind issue once but nothing since) so neither have been to the shop with issues...just oil changes/regular maintenance. I'd be more concerned about the engine you may inherit in the Ford. The Hemi is a solid engine and the eight speed tranny is doing very well. The ride in the Ram is superior to the Ford.

Thanks for the reply, but I am puzzled by the comment on the Ford engine. I've not only been reading RAM forums, but Ford forums as well, and I'm not seeing any complaints about the 2.7 or 3.5 EB engines. Just their 5.0 V8 some owners have complained about excess oil usage.

I personally know 5 people that live nearby, and they all have 3.5EB F150's. Two of them have put over 100k trouble-free miles on their trucks before trading in for new (2018 & 2019) F150'w, same EB engine.

While on the subject, I've read a number of RAM owners having experienced #5 injector failing in a way that dumos raw gas in the cyl, causing catastrophic engine failure. THAT has me more concerned than an ecoboost turbo failure.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I had the drone.....after escalating the problem through dealership and Ram Cares....they performed two downloads and fixed the problem. I recommend the downloads even if they say you done need them. See thread under 5th generation.....all info is there.

Interesting. One would think there would be a "recalibrate" option in the software that would fix it without a download but...

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
To each their own...I’ve had six Hemi’s in the family with zero issues. I test drive all three Ford engines and the 3.5L was the only one I could possibly consider but in the end went to my experience - no replacement for displacement - so the Hemi won out. I have three coworkers who have had turbo issues with their 3.5L and four who have had no issues. In the end you’ll do whatever floats your boat but I’m confident ANC in a Ram won’t be an issue as much as a small turbo engine could be if routinely towing.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is not a problem, is a issue that begins when you add a aftermarket bass or in some cases just changing a speaker for a aftermarket. What happen is like a feedback, increasing some frequencies to the audio system cause this issue. The "solution" is canceling this feature, in this case the microphones, in hondas the microphones as well in gmc and Cadillac cutting the speed sense wire that go to the factory amplifier.

Yes it is a problem for some trucks....I had a loud drone noise at 1100 to 1300rpms.....I never did anything to the speaker system....had problem from the get go. As stated...the fix was two downloads. The problem is clearly stated under the 5th generation thread.....several folks have had the problem with no speaker mods.....the problem can be fixed....dealers don't know how to deal with it well....Ram should make resolution more clear.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Interesting. One would think there would be a "recalibrate" option in the software that would fix it without a download but...

Read my posts under the 5th generation thread.....dealers are confused...don't know how to deal with this noise....they throw all kinds of crap at it.....the downloads have worked for many but you have to convince the dealer to do it. Total BS....but....it does fix the problem.

brian42

Military
Reaction score

First year tweaks. This is the first year of the 5th generation so there will be things to iron out (you can't find every problem during R&D). I had an occasional popping in my speakers and a software update fixed that (I have the base 6 speaker system).

A little off topic but FWIW I'm coming from 18 years of Ford trucks. Every vehicle will have its issues but in the end you have to enjoy what you drive. When my truck got totaled I made a beeline to my Ford dealer to get an EB F-150, but I didn't feel any connection to the truck when I sat in it (never even took it for a test drive). I was not interested in getting a truck the first year of a new generation but the RAM 1500 was the only other truck that even interested me. One test drive and I knew the 5th gen RAM was it for me. Sure it's had a couple of growing pains but nothing major and I couldn't be happier 10 months and 23K miles later.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Agreed Brian42. My dealer recently did a software upgrade on mine under a recall (sorry, I have forgotten which and what it was supposed to address) and something in me prompted me to try removing my ANC Bypass Cable to see if I still had the problem. So I did, and surprisingly, I do not have the "groaning" and whatnot even without the bypass cable. I agree with you that R&D and testing will not always flush out everything. There are just too many variables these days.

Jerrybob, I still think it was a miss for RAM to not include a Recalibrate function for the ANC. This should probably be front and center in the dealer's diagnostic and troubleshooting software. It should of course include a factory reset option for the ANC calibration. This is really basic stuff that should be included. IMHO

nathan_h

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Do all 19s have the ANC? I have a 2500 and don't see the box under driver seat. I do have the mics in headliner...

Having a horrible drone at 2k rpm after changing 6x9 speakers in doors

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Did you ever determine this? I dont think its a standard feature but part of some options packages, or at least that is what my dealer indicated (which has a 50/50 chance of being accurate).

nathan_h

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
That being said, while it is NOT listed on my window sticker, it IS listed on the build sheet I can pull up from the RAM web site. Curiouser and curiouser.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Agreed Brian42. My dealer recently did a software upgrade on mine under a recall (sorry, I have forgotten which and what it was supposed to address) and something in me prompted me to try removing my ANC Bypass Cable to see if I still had the problem. So I did, and surprisingly, I do not have the "groaning" and whatnot even without the bypass cable. I agree with you that R&D and testing will not always flush out everything. There are just too many variables these days.

Jerrybob, I still think it was a miss for RAM to not include a Recalibrate function for the ANC. This should probably be front and center in the dealer's diagnostic and troubleshooting software. It should of course include a factory reset option for the ANC calibration. This is really basic stuff that should be included. IMHO

I agree.....Ram has thrown so much stuff at this problem....they really need to get their act together and be consistent. Doesn't make sense.