Aftermarket Led Bed Lights in 5th gen 1500, Where to Connect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ive read many posts on this topic, but most apply to factory mopar lights and using a factory harnesses.

There's no bed light prewiring in my 24 Laramie. Hoping, but don't know if wiring is same for all 5th gens with same trim level, esp those with tailgate lights.

Seems like the ideal circuit is the cargo light, so no switches would be needed. An alternative might be the white with tan, tailgate light circuit, which Ive tried and my 5' led lights appear to overload and trip this circuit.

Anybody come up with a good connection point so they're switched automatically? I'd prefer not going to the trailer harness, or the battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
I noticed that the tailgate led light sometimes comes on with the cargo light but not always. Anyone know if it's the same circuit?

Ynottirbo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased a magnetic rechargeable light and it sticks to the inside of my bed near the tail gate. I prefer this, because if I need extra light I can just grab it. Had to get a strong magnet, because of spray in liner.

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good idea to connect to tailgate leds so you won't need a switch. Don't know the wire color. No doubt thousands of 1500 owners would like to do this, esp if there is no factory prewiring.

OP
OP
W

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
By the hardest, I connected to a white wire with blue tracer which supplies the cargo lights.

So far the 2 amp load of 10' string of leds is holding steady.

Need to see if it comes on with tailgate open. If so this is a winner.

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Anybody know where to find the white wire with dark blue tracer? Is it under the rear floor?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat