Air ride suspension failed, ok to drive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnmwmd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 Laramie Longhorn model. The OEM air suspension recently failed, and the front end is sitting much lower than the rear. I have sufficient clearance between the tire and the wheel well with the wheels pointed straight forward, but at full lock to the left, maybe a quarter of an inch of clearance. I need to drive the vehicle back about 100 miles tomorrow so I can get to a service center. Has anyone else done this, and am I going to damage anything by doing it?

Attachments

• IMG_3339.jpeg
    IMG_3339.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3340.jpeg
    IMG_3340.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 17

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's about a thousand threads about the air ride failures. Your truck is sitting on (or near) the bump stops. So it's basically just got about an inch of rubber "cushion" for suspension. I've driven mine when it acted up but I'm also on 35's so I have a little more "suspension" with the taller sidewall tire. I don't want to say it's safe, but it's also not directly "unsafe" either. Avoid bumps and potholes, drive cautiously understanding you have nearly zero suspension (Think old hay wagon being drug down a rough trail) you should be just fine.

One thing to try is while driving under 25mph, try putting the truck in offroad mode. Depending on the failure sometimes you can "force" the truck to raise up. Then once it raised up you can drive normally and the truck will lower to it's "normal" ride height after you drive faster than 25MPH.