Air suspension problem. Isolated or common?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terry Baaten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2018 Ram Rebel and the first 6 months I owned it, it was perfect! I have around 24K miles with all maintenance performed. The first issue I had was that on a road trip to Arkansas, the nav system decided I was in Canada, took the Dealer and corporate about 3 weeks to figure out the radio was causing all this issues, a day later the cooling fan went out and took 2 trips to dealer to resolve. Moving forward in November on a trip to Ocen City, the air suspension began flashing the warning and the back was jacked up and front down. After about an hour of driving it leveled out. Took truck to dealer and guess work troubleshooting had them replace the control module for the suspension. The next morning the warning flashed and I took to the dealer. Truck is entering 3rd week at dealer and if not in my possession by weeks end, will be excercising this state lemon laws. I too would like to stick with this product, but at the end of the day, I did not think I I bought a valued engineered machine!

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine is in the shop as I type. It's been there since last Thursday and no fix yet. It only had 26000 kms when it started to act up. If a solution is found I'll gladly post

Update: I've been in a rental a month to date. 2 separate times before it was in for a weeks each visit and again put in a rental. Starting to get really frustrated by the whole process. Unfortunately we don't have a lemon law in Canada. Pretty sure I would qualify if we did have such laws. I may not wait for the new truck I ordered and pull the pin really soon. Really getting sick of sorry response's and absolutely no solutions. I really feel for anybody going through this ******** with their air suspension crap. I'm really f^*king pissed off if you haven't already noticed. Sorry for the rant. GM just announced several plant closures for their world wide restructuring and one of them is in Oshawa Canada. So I won't be buying any GM products. Not ruling out F150 for an unbiased test ride.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When is that new 19 sposed to be in? I’m really not tryin to influence what you do, I just hate to see you drift over to the darkside....lol. Just kidding. I dunno, maybe a ford won’t be that bad of an experience, and I guess I’m just speaking on my own behalf but I’d wait for a that new 5th Gen to show up before I graced the doors of that Phord dealership but that’s just me.

But since you say you ain’t got no lemon laws up there in the land of the maple leaf, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if FCA realizes that, and is taking advantage of it. Which is awful ****** if it is but, what can you do?

Are they gonna give you a decent trade in for yours now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When is that new 19 sposed to be in? I’m really not tryin to influence what you do, I just hate to see you drift over to the darkside....lol. Just kidding. I dunno, maybe a ford won’t be that bad of an experience, and I guess I’m just speaking on my own behalf but I’d wait for a that new 5th Gen to show up before I graced the doors of that Phord dealership but that’s just me.

But since you say you ain’t got no lemon laws up there in the land of the maple leaf, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if FCA realizes that, and is taking advantage of it. Which is awful ****** if it is but, what can you do?

Are they gonna give you a decent trade in for yours now?

They are saying the 2019 won't be at the dealers until early new year. Just off the phone with the service adviser and they are working with FCA engineers and say it's computer related. I'm not holding my breath on that one. We were close on the trade value when I placed the order but if they can't fix the truck it's not trade worthy. Not sure what takes place if that turns out to be the case. Number crunching time for sure...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are saying the 2019 won't be at the dealers until early new year. Just off the phone with the service adviser and they are working with FCA engineers and say it's computer related. I'm not holding my breath on that one. We were close on the trade value when I placed the order but if they can't fix the truck it's not trade worthy. Not sure what takes place if that turns out to be the case. Number crunching time for sure...

Well either way, lemon law or not, it’s still under warranty, that’s the kicker. Maybe you’ll have to go talk to a lawyer and see what options you have. It sounds like e point, they’d just be taking that one back, and handing you keys to a new one.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well either way, lemon law or not, it’s still under warranty, that’s the kicker. Maybe you’ll have to go talk to a lawyer and see what options you have. It sounds like e point, they’d just be taking that one back, and handing you keys to a new one.

That would be so nice but not holding my breath. The owner of the dealership is just back form business. I left a message on his cell this afternoon and waiting for a return call tomorrow. Seeking legal advice will probably be an option but hoping I don't have to go down that road

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That would be so nice but not holding my breath. The owner of the dealership is just back form business. I left a message on his cell this afternoon and waiting for a return call tomorrow. Seeking legal advice will probably be an option but hoping I don't have to go down that road

Yeah I hear ya, I hope you don’t have to go down that road neither but this shouldn’t
Be taking this long.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well my truck dropped to somewhere between normal and entry/exit over the last couple days. It's hitting -32 or worse at night so it will not raise or lower at all. Actually no noise from the compressor and the fuse is fine. Still here for a week, but I'm guessing when I get home and back in positive temps It'll thaw and work again. Just hope it doesn't drop any more as I don't feel like driving 1100km with the bags empty to get home.

c0v3rr1d3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We had a 2015 laramie crew with the air suspension, and always got the immediate service of suspension warning message whenever it was 10 degrees F. or below outside, dealer could never find the issue or pull anything. I just ignored it as it never seemed to cause anything other than not go into aero mode till you turned it off an on again or it warmed up.

4_Petes_Sake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just recently purchased a 2016 Ram Sport with air suspension. Within the last month or so I'm noticing my driver side fender dropping to about 1" from the tire when sitting for a couple of days. I started doing some searching on this forum but there's not much discussed as far as possible causes of this phenomenon.

Is issue that rare? Or are most of these issues resolved under warranty and that's the reason for the lack of info.

Why is this happening only in the front?

I read somewhere that this is a sealed system and filled with nitrogen so if your vehicle levels itself out at start-up the system is functioning properly.
Then there was something about solenoids leaking and allowing the nitrogen to return to the tank. I'm sorry if I'm off but I'm going off of memory.
The only hopeful thing to try seems like a system drain and recharge with new nitrogen. IIRC a member had this done and had no more issues since.

Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

Pete

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just recently purchased a 2016 Ram Sport with air suspension. Within the last month or so I'm noticing my driver side fender dropping to about 1" from the tire when sitting for a couple of days. I started doing some searching on this forum but there's not much discussed as far as possible causes of this phenomenon.

Is issue that rare? Or are most of these issues resolved under warranty and that's the reason for the lack of info.

Why is this happening only in the front?

I read somewhere that this is a sealed system and filled with nitrogen so if your vehicle levels itself out at start-up the system is functioning properly.
Then there was something about solenoids leaking and allowing the nitrogen to return to the tank. I'm sorry if I'm off but I'm going off of memory.
The only hopeful thing to try seems like a system drain and recharge with new nitrogen. IIRC a member had this done and had no more issues since.

Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

Pete

It’s probably in your compressor because if memory serves me correctly, the compressor has individual electronic valves that control each bag and I would assume that if only one bag is losing pressure, it’s probably at the source, which is the compressor.

By any chance, since you bought the truck used, do you know where the truck came from, like up north? Go here and enter your vin and the build sheet will say where your truck was originally sold or you can go to carfax and buy you a carfax report to see where your truck lived before you got it because if it lived up north where it gets cold, you might have issues stemming from cold weather which really affects those older air ride systems which usually causes that because the grease they used to lubricate the valve body in the compressor was sticking, not letting the valves completely close. It’s a stretch, but it may help.

Do you have an extended warranty plan on the truck, because if that compressor has to be replaced, it’s not gonna be cheap. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk