Air System Purge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoHawks34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Limited. It currently has about 151k miles. In early 2022 I replace my P/S rear air bag, because the P/S was sagging to the point it was very noticeable. This year around late spring my D/S rear air bag did the exact same thing. So this time I decided to replace the D/S rear air bag along with the 2 front air shocks, all 4 sensors, and replaced the bumper jouncers.

After that the truck rode extremely rough. I thought at this point maybe I needed a resupply, so I took it to the dealer. The dealer found it through some code of the system being too hot. So he cleared the codes. He also told me the thicker bumper jouncers I bought is prohibiting the truck from running it normal operations. So I replaced the bumper jouncers with OEM ones.

Now my truck still continues to send a message of "Service or repair air system immediately." The truck also purges as well as some shows a yellow truck with a line through it on the dash. I am just looking for recommendations ie: try what everyone has mentioned, factory reset the sytem somehow, or take it back into the dealership and see what they can do. I dont want to spend alot of money on it right now if it can be a cheap fix. I also need new tires as well, but dont want to do that until this problem is resolved.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you do your own work? Are you a pretty good DIY guy/mechanic?

If so, I'll give you a great non-answer I tell most owners with air ride issues ....which is, there's too many possibilities to shoot at randomly. It's a "System" which various components need to be debugged and ruled good or not good. Download the free RAM factory manual (link below), and look read through the Air Suspension section. I've read it, it's very detailed. It's got to be the most comprehensive source for learning exactly how it works and how to debug. It's somewhat technical. Read through once, and take a breather. Come back a day or two later and read again in greater depth. It'll start to sink in. Armed with that information you'll be a pro. It should help you greatly. If you don't have a scan tool, you can go to like Autozone or OReilly's and have them scan the air ride or codes ...for a starting place.

Link: Go HERE. Scroll to the bottom of the page. Click the manual for your truck. That takes you to the guy's google docs pg, and click download. It'll give a pop-up (it's too big off a file). Disregard the warning and download the pdf. It works I just verified it. Lots of guys have downloaded it. It's not my pg.

If you're not DIY, then take it back to the dealer, or you could change it over to regular shocks like a bunch of guys have. Sorry I don't have a specific answer, but you should look through a troubleshooting tree and do specific checks, to drill down to the problem. Cheers!
:favorites13:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517