Airbags on the PW - factory bumpstop spacer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed a set of Airlifter 5000 airbags on my PW. Stock rear springs and a 1" spacer (to match the 1.5" Thuren front springs, and to keep a little rake). What is everybody's thoughts on whether I should keep the stock bumpstop spacer? Did not use it during the initial install because the bolts in the airbag kit were not long enough, and you can't use the stock bolts either. I will be installing airbag cradles but they are not here yet. Thinking I should probably keep them, but also not sure if they really make a difference? Especially with the cradles?

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did your airbags come with the internal bump stop? If so, you may want to space the cradle off the base that extra inch! I believe it takes about 5lbs air pressure to keep the bag seated in the cradle…stock suspension!IMG_5858.jpeg

There’s the gap between bag and cradle with no air, factory suspension!

I guess where I’m going is, the cradle goes where the bump stop was! The bag just “hangs” from the frame!

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope I’m not misunderstanding your question and creating more confusion! Not my intention!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope I’m not misunderstanding your question and creating more confusion! Not my intention!
Hes referring to the 1” spacer that the power wagons have above the factory bumpstop. I did not use the spacer when i installed mine. They work just fine. But i also dont have a spacer on the springs.

I would try it without the spacer and see.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hes referring to the 1” spacer that the power wagons have above the factory bumpstop. I did not use the spacer when i installed mine. They work just fine. But i also dont have a spacer on the springs.

I would try it without the spacer and see.
Was searching the 'net and found a thread you started about the airbag install. Based on that I kept the bump stop spacer off and installed the cradles. Just normal empty driving the bags sit flush against the cradles. Haven't done much testing as I just got the cradles installed Saturday and was gone all day Sunday. Planning on seeing how much droop is required to cause a gap between the bags and cradles. My thoughts are if just in driving and hitting a pothole if the axle will droop enough to loose contact with the bags....and not even sure that is an issue or not....

To answer a previous post. These are the style with the internal bump stops. Reading about how the internal bumps are/may be lower than the factory stops (if I read it correctly) was part of the reason I left them off.

For people searching how to install the cradles, I drilled the lower bump stop pads and used thread forming (self tapping) 3/8" bolts. The other option is drilling and tapping, but decided to try these bolts versus buying the tap. Somebody said they were able to get a wrench on the underside for a regular nut and bolt. At least on my '16 PW the lower bump stop pad is completely boxed in and there is no way you get a nut or wrench in under it.

For the schrader valves, I installed them in the two existing holes in the sheetmetal trip that sits back in and below the tailgate opening. They work but not sure I like them there. Makes them kinda' hard to get to and you have to squeeze your fingers in to reach them.

Have about a 5-6 hour round trip towing this weekend to test them out.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was searching the 'net and found a thread you started about the airbag install. Based on that I kept the bump stop spacer off and installed the cradles. Just normal empty driving the bags sit flush against the cradles. Haven't done much testing as I just got the cradles installed Saturday and was gone all day Sunday. Planning on seeing how much droop is required to cause a gap between the bags and cradles. My thoughts are if just in driving and hitting a pothole if the axle will droop enough to loose contact with the bags....and not even sure that is an issue or not....

To answer a previous post. These are the style with the internal bump stops. Reading about how the internal bumps are/may be lower than the factory stops (if I read it correctly) was part of the reason I left them off.

For people searching how to install the cradles, I drilled the lower bump stop pads and used thread forming (self tapping) 3/8" bolts. The other option is drilling and tapping, but decided to try these bolts versus buying the tap. Somebody said they were able to get a wrench on the underside for a regular nut and bolt. At least on my '16 PW the lower bump stop pad is completely boxed in and there is no way you get a nut or wrench in under it.

For the schrader valves, I installed them in the two existing holes in the sheetmetal trip that sits back in and below the tailgate opening. They work but not sure I like them there. Makes them kinda' hard to get to and you have to squeeze your fingers in to reach them.

Have about a 5-6 hour round trip towing this weekend to test them out.
If i remember correctly, at full droop (truck on hoist with axles hanging) there is an inch and a half or so between the bottom of the bags and the daystar cradle. Thats with stock rear suspension with no spacer on the springs (but should be the same for you, as the axle should droop out the same regardless.

There is no issues with the bags coming out of contact with the cradles…thats the whole idea behind it. I remember trying to pull the bags down with the axle at full droop and i couldnt get them to touch the cradles. IMO that means without them, the bags would be getting tugged on too much and most likely eventually tear.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If i remember correctly, at full droop (truck on hoist with axles hanging) there is an inch and a half or so between the bottom of the bags and the daystar cradle. Thats with stock rear suspension with no spacer on the springs (but should be the same for you, as the axle should droop out the same regardless.

There is no issues with the bags coming out of contact with the cradles…thats the whole idea behind it. I remember trying to pull the bags down with the axle at full droop and i couldnt get them to touch the cradles. IMO that means without them, the bags would be getting tugged on too much and most likely eventually tear.
Yes. When installing the cradles I did have to jack up the axle so the bags meant the cradles (in order to line up the cradles prior to installing them). Just didn't measure how far. Good point on the droop as the factory shocks, swaybar links, and maybe even the factory track bar limit that. Shouldn't have any more droop with the 1" spring spacer versus no spacer based on that.

As another note, I pumped the bags up to 50 PSI to check for leaks. You could see the back of the truck rise up some when doing so. Took it for a little test drive and while you could tell the difference with the rear being stiffer, it wasn't as stiff or bouncy as I expected. Of course this was on relatively smooth roads.