8HP Swap on 2018 and older PW?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All of these comments make me feel old but I'm "just" in my 40s as trucks only had 3 speeds when I was kid, 4 speeds with OD were just coming out when I got my license. Need to go drive trucks made just 10 years ago that still had 4 speed automatic trans if you want to talk about bad gear ratios in comparison to the 6 speed!
Oh, no doubt the older 3 speeds and 4 speeds were worse. The problem is, when there is something better out there, the last “best” is now just a POS lol.

Also, with 4.10’s and 35’s, 5 and 6th are basically useless when towing heavy unless your coasting down the flat stretch or downhill, so its pretty much a 4 speed lol. The biggest issue is the gearing gap from 1st to 2nd.

I mean, the 6 speed works, dont get me wrong, and it works much better than 3 speeds and 4 speeds. But, it just sucks in comparison to the 8 speed.

Last edited:

Flammable_Solid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All of these comments make me feel old but I'm "just" in my 40s as trucks only had 3 speeds when I was kid, 4 speeds with OD were just coming out when I got my license. Need to go drive trucks made just 10 years ago that still had 4 speed automatic trans if you want to talk about bad gear ratios in comparison to the 6 speed!

Keep in mind that for emissions, they are trying to run all engines like diesels: Keep them at one RPM setting and change gears for different power/speed needs.

Look at the spread between a 4 speed, 6 speed, and 8 speed. The ratio of 1st to 1st is the same and the ratio between 4th to 6th or 8th is the same.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep in mind that for emissions, they are trying to run all engines like diesels: Keep them at one RPM setting and change gears for different power/speed needs.

Look at the spread between a 4 speed, 6 speed, and 8 speed. The ratio of 1st to 1st is the same and the ratio between 4th to 6th or 8th is the same.
The 8 speed actually has quite a bit lower first gear than the 6.