Another nv4500 swap thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fulkernite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
Hey there. This is my first time posting here. I'm having issues finding specific info to the problem I'm having with my nv4500 swap. Figured there might be someone here who's done it before or is way more knowledgeable than me!

So here's the deal. I have a 2001 2500 with a 5.9 magnum and a 46re. I want to swap in a donor motor (after it's rebuilt) and a donor tranny (nv4500) from a 1997 2500 donor truck that I bought.

Given the changes in 1998 the instrument cluster and wiring harness are way different. What do I have to do to make this swap work if I'm going to keep the wiring harness out of my 2001. Will swapping the ecm/pcm be enough or is there more I have to mess around with?

I would be super appreciative if someone could give me a hand with this!

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I do not know specifics, but there is a gentleman in canada on youtube who did just the trans swap.

Personally, I would just do the trans swap, less potential problems.

However if you are dead set, then swap over all wiring from donor truck and you should be set. expect minor wiring issues along the way.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Do not try to swap wiring. That'll increase your work tenfold. Engine is easy, use your factory harness. Trans usually needs the neural safety ground done. Google that and you'll find what you need