Anti-theft alarm cannot be disabled anymore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simon05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello friends,

I need your help.
After the alarm system was somehow deactivated last time when I locked and unlocked the car with the key in the door lock, I was actually quite happy and had no more problems until this week.

But now I had the car n the workshop and somehow they had drained the battery completely what activated the alarm system again. However, this time I can't get it deactivated anymore at all.

I think that it is not a factory installation because:
- a retrofit LED is installed in the dashboard and
- a cable with a button is dangling loosely behind the steering wheel cover.

But I can't find a controller.

The situation is as follows:

- The system activates automatically a few seconds after the vehicle is locked => the LED flashes 1x every 10-15 seconds.
- As soon as the car is unlocked and the door is opened, the system starts to honk.
- With the ignition on, the alarm is silenced by pressing the above mentioned button. Without ignition, only the LED stops flashing, but the horn continues.
- If the ignition is switched on by pressing the button while the system is armed, the horn sounds 4x briefly and the LED flashes quickly. Pressing the button again makes the horn sound 3x again and the LED is off. However, only until the next closing again.

If anyone has an idea based on the description or maybe knows what system is installed, where I can get instructions for it or who I could possibly ask about it, I would be super grateful for any hint. I can't expect my neighbors to have the alarm system go off every time I get in.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
- a retrofit LED is installed in the dashboard and
- a cable with a button is dangling loosely behind the steering wheel cover.

But I can't find a controller.
The wires that goto the LED and that cable has to lead back to the controller, you'll need to start disassembling the dash as you follow them to the module.

OP
OP
Simon05

Simon05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The wires that goto the LED and that cable has to lead back to the controller, you'll need to start disassembling the dash as you follow them to the module.
Thank you for the feedback.
Yes, I'm aware of this option. However, there are so many cables in that area that it's not possible to trace them without actually disassembling the dash. So, I was hoping someone knows the type or brand of the system by the reaction described and I could try to get a manual. If I disassemble the dash and find the system, I will take it out directly.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the feedback.
Yes, I'm aware of this option. However, there are so many cables in that area that it's not possible to trace them without actually disassembling the dash. So, I was hoping someone knows the type or brand of the system by the reaction described and I could try to get a manual. If I disassemble the dash and find the system, I will take it out directly.

What you're describing is an aftermarket alarm system that should have it's own FOB.

Usually, with this type of alarm, you would not ever use the factory FOB to unlock, only the alarm system's FOB.

Without the specific FOB that is coded to the alarm controller, you can't do much other than finding the controller and disabling it.

Did you recently buy this truck?

The kick plate below the steering column only has 2 screws to remove and easily pops out, better exposing the wiring beneath the dash. This may assist you to trace wires from the push button you described, to locate the alarm controller.

Check YouTube to learn how to remove this panel, it's very easy.

When the alarm is triggered and the horn starts honking, do you hear any other loud beeps, chirps or siren noises that are obviously not coming from the factory horn?

Aftermarket alarm controllers are sometimes installed in the engine bay and have their own siren or buzzer of some type.

This buzzer or siren wiring might be easier to trace to the alarm controller module and allow you to locate/remove the power connection to the alarm.

Another place to look, is the positive battery terminal area. Often, amateur aftermarket alarm system installations are directly connected to the battery terminal. You might notice a crimp lug that is obviously not part of the OEM build.

This sounds like an amateur installation, you may be able to locate the alarm controller by just looking to find a box that is poorly mounted and obviously not part of the OEM build.

The alarm controller may be mounted under the dash or in the engine bay.

One way or another, you have to locate the controller and disable it.

And welcome to Ram Forum, Simon. :cool:

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I was hoping someone knows the type or brand of the system by the reaction described and I could try to get a manual
Without seeing the module there's no way of knowing what brand of alarm it is.
Try pushing the button while the vehicle is on, if the LED turns on and stays on that maybe valet mode.
Without knowing what alarm is in the truck, your best to get that alarm removed so it doesn't cause you problems down the road

OP
OP
Simon05

Simon05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And welcome to Ram Forum, Simon. :cool:
Thank you for the warm welcome. Feels really good to be here.
It's not that easy to find people with detailed knowledge about these trucks over here in Germany.

Did you recently buy this truck?
My son bought it beginning this year. First, there was no issue with the system. It worked like expected. Some occasional blinking LED that stopped as soon the car got opened. Once, as I played around with the key code to check for errors we had the first time an issue with this system, however managed to somehow deactivate it again. But everything we think we've done last time, doesn't work this time.
When the alarm is triggered and the horn starts honking, do you hear any other loud beeps, chirps or siren noises that are obviously not coming from the factory horn?
No, there's no other sound we can hear.
One way or another, you have to locate the controller and disable it.
Yes, if there's no quick and dirty solution, we will definitely go for this.

I'll keep you updated...

Best Regards,
Simon

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the warm welcome. Feels really good to be here.
It's not that easy to find people with detailed knowledge about these trucks over here in Germany.

My son bought it beginning this year. First, there was no issue with the system. It worked like expected. Some occasional blinking LED that stopped as soon the car got opened. Once, as I played around with the key code to check for errors we had the first time an issue with this system, however managed to somehow deactivate it again. But everything we think we've done last time, doesn't work this time.

No, there's no other sound we can hear.

Yes, if there's no quick and dirty solution, we will definitely go for this.

I'll keep you updated...

Best Regards,
Simon

The only quick solution would be to contact the seller of the truck and hope they can provide the aftermarket alarm FOB.

The dirty solution is to start chasing wires, locate the alarm controller and disable it.

Removing the panel under the steering column only requires a few minutes and hopefully will expose the path for the pushbutton wires, leading you to the controller.

Leaving this device active will compromise the reliability and your enjoyment of the vehicle.
I'd bet your neighbours don't much appreciate the erratic horning sessions. :cool:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
1) Turn the key to run.
2) HOLD the botton down while watching the LED light.
3) Once the LED is illuminated release the button and the LED should stay ON.
The system is now in VALET mode and will no longer autoset and be deactivated until you hold the button again or lose battery power.

OP
OP
Simon05

Simon05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1) Turn the key to run.
The system is now in VALET mode and will no longer autoset and be deactivated until you hold the button again or lose battery power.
Thanks for this additional tip. We will check this, too.

After today's investigation for the control unit without any success (neither behind the dash nor in the motor bay), I don't think it's a cheap aftermarket unit.
After some testing and playing around, I could find that this system is really deeply connected to the system (horn, lights, ignition switch, locking system). And I could get the system into a mode in which altough the LED flashes but no alarm sounds - I call it mode B.
Youtube video: mode B
Mode B and mode A can be toggled by turning key to ingition an back to off several times.
Youtube video: mode A
And then, there is some special mode, however I don't know how to get use of it
Youtube video: mode xx

So, at least I can get it to mode B where no alarm sounds, but I still haven't back the mode where nothing is flashing or sounding.
Some more testing will follow ...

OP
OP
Simon05

Simon05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1) Turn the key to run.
I think that's the mode in which the system was before the power loss.
But I can't get into it anymore. I tried different variations to get into the state where the LED is permanently illuminated - without success.

So, we'll keep it in what we call mode 'B'.

Just one additional question: As I searched for any control unit, I thought the respondig cables were among a big bundle that goes into the remote start unit. However there's only the main plug used, the plug for remote start is free. Afaik the remote start also has access to horn, signal lights and motor controls. Is there any alarm system in the remote start unit included?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think that's the mode in which the system was before the power loss.
But I can't get into it anymore. I tried different variations to get into the state where the LED is permanently illuminated - without success.

So, we'll keep it in what we call mode 'B'.

Just one additional question: As I searched for any control unit, I thought the respondig cables were among a big bundle that goes into the remote start unit. However there's only the main plug used, the plug for remote start is free. Afaik the remote start also has access to horn, signal lights and motor controls. Is there any alarm system in the remote start unit included?

There are many remote start/alarm systems available.

I had a Viper alarm on my last truck and it had two FOBs. If you were to unlock with the OEM FOB, the alarm would activate the horn & a siren under the hood.

You're lucky that your alarm doesn't disable the ignition, the Viper did.

Is the remote start unit that you've found, maybe, the alarm controller too? That's very common.

What do you mean by "the plug for the remote start is free"? What plug?

OP
OP
Simon05

Simon05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the remote start unit that you've found, maybe, the alarm controller too? That's very common.
Yes, that's actually what I assume. Especially, because I have this controller but no remote start FOB.
What do you mean by "the plug for the remote start is free"? What plug?
I have this remote start controller unit from Mopar (05140464aa) behind the knee guard. This unit has two slots where plugs can be connected. First one is a big one and is labelled with "main" on the housing. The second one is a smaller one and labelled with 'car start'.
005.jpg
This one is not used, it's free
So I thought, somebody just added this controller for the alarm, not for the remote start. And it is definitely not originally mounted, because it is fixed with cable ties.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excellent news, now you can make a plan and get this PITA disconnected asap.

If it were me, my first priority would be end these unexpected surprises and get this thing disconnected.

According to the label, it does bypass/disable the ignition, which in other words, is your first priority to find.

If you simply disconnect or remove power, your ignition may be disabled. As a test, try disconnecting the main plug, if it has one, to see if it kills the ability for ignition.

If there's no connector, remove the power connection for the ignition test.

Should you have no ignition ability after disconnecting, start looking for the ignition line bypass. They're often located under the steering column but could be anywhere.

Follow the wires from the label, 3, 7, 13, & 16 should point you in the right direction.

The OEM ignition wire from the key switch will be cut , allowing the alarm to disable the ignition. You will require to restore that factory ignition wire with a crimp connector or better yet, solder and heatshrink, if you are able.

Once the ignition bypass is restored, you're good to yank out the other wires associated with this alarm.

One caveat, if you might like to make use of this alarm in the future, we can likely find the manufacturer with the details on that label.

Often, they charge almost the cost of a new system to replace the remote FOBs and may not be worth the money, that's up to you.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The fcc id traces back to Code Systems Inc. They make Code Alarm brand auto alarm systems. Appears to be an Australian company that is still in business. Google for their products and you may find a manual for the unit. Alternatively, try reaching out to them to see if they can help.

Google search of the part number brings up a thread about the system on another forum. The link to the manual in that thread is dead. There is good info in that thread though. Forum rules don’t allow posting links to other forums so you will have to do your own google search.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat