Any advice ? (pic)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrspiffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello all.

Got my 13 Ram back in the spring and have been searching for ideas on what to do with the chrome ...

I'm more into black and was wondering what my options were for bumpers, handles, grille and maybe do something with the rims? I know that Plasti-dip is an option but I also know it wouldn't match the black that's there on the truck and unsure how durable it would be and how long it would last ??

Let me know!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 41

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the bumpers you could have them powder coated for roughly $150 a bumper depending on location. You could also have the rims powder coated. The handles you can paint to match the truck.

Vapiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can always try plastidip to see if you will like it before putting down what can be $$$....or if you already know by looking at other rams I'd look for a painted bumper and have it repainted or get lucky and find a black one....

I wouldn't paint the chrome bumper as after wanting to get some chrome motorcycle parts painted I was quick to learn from the painter (several said this) that you just simply can't (shouldn't) paint chrome....its a lot harder to adhere to and minor chips and scrapes (which will happen) will shine through like the sun due to the reflective nature of the chrome.....

so just in my opinion Id' look for a used bumper you can repaint...or hopefully get lucky and find another black ram and steal their bumper :gr_grin:

Ceace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a black '10 SLT. I love black with chrome accents. The route i am going is to leave the chrome bumpers. I actually want a grill like yours. I removed the RAM emblem from the doors. Only other chrome i will be getting is <22 INCH wheels. Plastidip is good for small accents IMO. Not for bumpers and grills. And that Brilliant Black Pearl is gorgeous in the sunlight. Plain black plastidip just wouldn't compliment it. My 2 cents.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk

SafetyMan43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Plastidip matches your mirrors pretty good, and if you use enough of it, it will be black on black, and look just fine.

20131224_110841_zps00f2cced.jpg

OP
OP
M

mrspiffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies,

I cant see myself painting over the chrome bumpers but maybe ill try and locate some factory black ones..

As for the rims, SafetyMan43 - Are those stock ram rims just with a few coats of Plasti ?If so they do look great. I just wasn't sure about the flat black with the gloss black on the rest of the truck.

swargo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can vinyl wrap some of the smaller chrome pieces. Well, you could vinyl wrap ALL the chrome pieces but I'd be nervous about the bumpers chipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SafetyMan43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As for the rims, SafetyMan43 - Are those stock ram rims just with a few coats of Plasti ?If so they do look great..

Stock rims, 6 coats of Plastidip.
Thank you.

If you want glossier, you can buy Plastidip Glossifier. I would go ahead and try it on your bumper. Worst case, you're out 14 bucks and an hour of your time, and you peel it back off.

No harm, no foul.

I think you may be surprised how good it looks.

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive always look at Plastidip as a temporary fix. I cant stand it because of the matte finish, eben after I tried the glossifier, it just didnt match exactly. I had all my accents color matched at a body shop. Since my truck is all black, different shades of black wouldnt look right. So now everything matches perfect :)

I would look for painted bumpers though, like mentioned above, its hard to paint chrome and expensive. All your accents you can have a painter do

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Plasti-Dip works great for the smaller things. It takes some time learning how to use it though. I've seen bumpers done that didn't look bad and I've seen bumpers I'd have personally peeled it off immediately. I think powder coating is the way to go on the chrome though if you want it permanent and to look as nice as the paint.