Anyone know where I could get replacement bolt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The "one time use" fastener doesn't always mean it's a torque-to-yield fastener. My Honda's service manual calls out a couple of bolts that recommend they not be reused: The idler pulley bolt for the timing belt is one, because the replacement bolt comes with dry threadlocking compound on it that activates when it's torqued in. The torque isn't all that high, but they don't want technicians spending the time cleaning off the old threadlocker and applying new stuff when the new bolt is dirt cheap. Having that bolt come loose would be especially bad because it will cause a lot of destruction if it did, so they really want you to have fresh threadlocker on it. The motor mount bolts also say "don't re-use", but I gather that was more because they are probably rusted to heck and they would rather have you use a new bolt instead of tearing up the the threads and possibly stripping them.

RedRAM21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hello,
You probably have your bolt already.
I agree with the idea to go to a Salvage Yard (SY) or Dealer; the dealer will rob you blind, that why they are caller Stealerships, and the SY will have what you want and at a better price. I don't have any SY close enough to make it worthwhile, have to plan a trip when I need something I don't want to pay
dealer Prices.

I found for other Trucks Brands, some bolts just need to be OEM.

Added: If you haven't already pull the opposite side bolt, take a look at it, it could be just a plain bolt you can buy at the hardware store but you might need to play games with the head and restraining portion.
Also, add some "Never-Seize" to the threads when reinstalling.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would personally use blue thread-locker on them. They can fall out or work loose. Over certain twisting places, like going into or out of steep store or gas station driveways, the cab & frame flex and it can tug and puts twisting forces on the cab mount bolts, esp those furthest from the center (i.e. the rear). It can work bolts loose. Thread locker will keep the threads from rusting in too. But they won't be in too tight to get loose with a breaker bar. Pretty sure replacement bolts will come with a thread compound on them.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,
You probably have your bolt already.
I agree with the idea to go to a Salvage Yard (SY) or Dealer; the dealer will rob you blind, that why they are caller Stealerships, and the SY will have what you want and at a better price. I don't have any SY close enough to make it worthwhile, have to plan a trip when I need something I don't want to pay
dealer Prices.

I found for other Trucks Brands, some bolts just need to be OEM.

Added: If you haven't already pull the opposite side bolt, take a look at it, it could be just a plain bolt you can buy at the hardware store but you might need to play games with the head and restraining portion.
Also, add some "Never-Seize" to the threads when reinstalling.

A new one is $20, that doesn't seem worth the hassle/risk to go used.

I would personally use blue thread-locker on them. They can fall out or work loose. Over certain twisting places, like going into or out of steep store or gas station driveways, the cab & frame flex and it can tug and puts twisting forces on the cab mount bolts, esp those furthest from the center (i.e. the rear). It can work bolts loose. Thread locker will keep the threads from rusting in too. But they won't be in too tight to get loose with a breaker bar. Pretty sure replacement bolts will come with a thread compound on them.

New one comes with thread compound.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are a few Y/T videos where they illustrate what happens when ya try to re-use TTY bolts. They fail real quick the 2nd time. So don't re-use. I'm talking engine bolts here. The biggest headache for TTY bolts is ya have to buy new each time. Sometimes that can add up to a significant expense ya didn't have in the old days.
Agree that you should not re-use a TTY bolt, but to repeat what was said in another reply there is a difference between a TTY bolt and one that may have the statement to no re-use. Again, just because the service manual states to no re-use the bolt it does not mean it is TTY. I think a big factor when they recommend to not re-use a bolt is because they are concerned it is rusted/corroded or has pre-existing lock tight on it that needs cleaned prior to re-use. It's one of those things that a little common sense and experience is needed when determining if the bolt really needs replaced or not. I will say that from my personal experience a lot of bolts get re-used even if the factory service manual says not to. Part of that common sense is knowing if the bolt is TTY or not. For example on my previous truck it said not to re-use the bolts that hold the brake caliper brackets onto the wheel hub, however I had mine off many times over the the 16 years and 150k miles I owned it with no issues. Also know a long-time GM dealer mechanic you had replaced 100's of brakes on the same basic model of truck in his career and never replaced those bolts either.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So TTY bolts, I knew were not re-usable, and I understand why. Like so many others have said, and many of them I greatly respect their opinions: Not reusing other generic bolts on a vehicle makes little to no sense. Clean them off, check for cracks or corrosion, clean off any previous Loc-Tite, reapply and re-use. The fear of lawsuits has really gotten out of hand.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, brakes is one thing.

I guess then I think of TTY bolts I wouldn't re-use, I was envisioning engine main bearing cap bolts, rod end bolts...head bolts, etc. An intake might be one where a guy can use them.

Some of these modern engine crank main caps bolts are on SOOO incredibly tight with TTY bolts from the factory, it takes a 3' or 4' breaker bar to remove ...and they go CRACK!! when they finally go free. It's not from thread sealer. It's from the bolts stretching. Impact wrenches can twist them off, so ya gotta use care.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
62Blazer, like you say... ya gotta pick & choose where ya can re-use. There are probably lot of people who do reuse ..and how many never check the angle? Just torque to a ft/lb spec? One of many videos on the subject:

Note: I don't proclaim to be an expert. But I do find the subject interesting.. :)