Auto dimming dashboard and screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Husky_Max

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 E torque
Sometimes while I was driving the vehicle, my dashboard lights just shut off and the screen brightness when down a lot. However, the surroundings are not changing a lot. Sometimes I just cursing on the highway and it happened. Does anyone have the same problem? I have to turn the brightness control to MAX position to avoid this. But during the night time, the brightness will be too much. It’s really annoying to manually change it.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have not seen this, is the sensor being obstructed?

OP
OP
Husky_Max

Husky_Max

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 E torque
I have not seen this, is the sensor being obstructed?
Do you know where the sensor is located? The morning the dash light control knob even stopped working.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you know where the sensor is located? The morning the dash light control knob even stopped working.
I think it is either on the back of the mirror or they use to be on the dash.

Blacklimited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine does the same thing. It seems to dim too early before it is dark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over The Hill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 2018. 2021
Engine
Eco-Diesel, 5.7 Hemi
Now that you mention it. I just picked my 2021 1500 Laramie Level 2 after Christmas. I've noticed this dimming of the dash even in full daylight. No clear reason for this to happen. Of course with all this electronics there is no reason for anything to go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong. . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Darrylba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HFE
Same here, happened alot when new, still new, have not driven much. So I've not seen it lately. I spent a bit of time fooling around with the button/knob. My guess its the sensor, it does seem to come on when driving shady spots....thus the dash appears acting up... But I think there is a problem.

prsz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have noticed this too. But in my case I figured out it does it when I'm using the windshield wipers.
The not so brilliant engineers don't know that it can rain and still be quite bright outside. I don't need the dashboard lights to dim to the point that I can't read them. This is the stupidest feature, if you want to call it that, that an auto maker could implement. And I'm being quite nice when I say "not so brilliant engineers", frankly I feel a flogging would be better. Tar and feather. Not sure if there is an over ride for that but will start searching for one. Other than that I love my 2020 Ram truck.

bull8042

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to take a stab at an answer here... "If" you have the same settings that I do ('22 Rebel), there's an option to turn on headlights with wipers. Since the dash lights are tied in with the headlights in that the dash lights dim when the headlights are turned on, if you disable the option I mentioned previously, your dash lights won't dim during the day only because it's raining.
As for your classification that this is the stupidest feature, I beg to differ. I think having any dash lights on when the headlights are off ranks right up there. The only reason I say that is because there are too many people on the roads that drive in very dark conditions with no lights on at all. They see their dash lit up and have no idea that they are entirely invisible to everyone else until the last minute! :banghead:

bgfish2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it is either on the back of the mirror or they use to be on the dash.
If I'm not mistaken, the black knob on top of the dash just beside mid dash speaker is the sensor and I had mine covered up with a ball cap, removed the hat , now mines working fine...!