Axle leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yesterday morning I could hear a noise from the passenger side in the rear. I looked under there a couple times and I couldn’t see an issue. Everything seemed tight when I checked I quickly checked it. At lunchtime I noticed a puddle of oil next to the tire. It was coming from the axle shaft. I’m guessing the axle bearing on that side went out and took the seal out too. I dropped it off at the stealership. I’ve got the lifetime powertrain warranty. No to see if they fix it under warranty or try to find a way to make me pay out of pocket. This has been the most troublesome vehicle that I’ve ever owned! My next pickup will not be a ram!

OP
OP
Michael

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was on Tuesday. Today I talked to the service advisor at the stealership tonight. Ram is trying to weasel out of paying for the repair. He told me if they don’t pay for the repair that I’ll have to. The cost is $6500. He said that not only does the seal and wheel bearing have to be replaced, but so does the axle, axle housing and the gears in the rear end. He also said the brakes that were replaced with powerstop pads, rotors and calipers last year need to be replaced because the pads and rotors are covered in oil and are no good. The brakes aren’t covered by the warranty so they want replace the with lower quality oem ones for $1100. He also told me that the battery has all of a sudden failed and needs to be replaced. It worked flawlessly up to the point I dropped it off with the. When I was pulling stuff out of the truck, when I was dropping it off, the service advisor has left the key in the ignition turned on. I turned it off. If the battery was starting to fail I would have seen the warning signs. The cold is good at helping with that. With all the vehicle‘s I’ve owned over the years I’ve had some that were ok and others I’ve loved, but my ram is the first one I’ve hated. I have been looking at new trucks for a while, but the prices are too high with no bargaining happening. The dealers can add $10k to 20k on top of msrp and people are paying it. I’ve been waiting for supply to normalize so prices will normalize too.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That was on Tuesday. Today I talked to the service advisor at the stealership tonight. Ram is trying to weasel out of paying for the repair. He told me if they don’t pay for the repair that I’ll have to. The cost is $6500. He said that not only does the seal and wheel bearing have to be replaced, but so does the axle, axle housing and the gears in the rear end. He also said the brakes that were replaced with powerstop pads, rotors and calipers last year need to be replaced because the pads and rotors are covered in oil and are no good. The brakes aren’t covered by the warranty so they want replace the with lower quality oem ones for $1100. He also told me that the battery has all of a sudden failed and needs to be replaced. It worked flawlessly up to the point I dropped it off with the. When I was pulling stuff out of the truck, when I was dropping it off, the service advisor has left the key in the ignition turned on. I turned it off. If the battery was starting to fail I would have seen the warning signs. The cold is good at helping with that. With all the vehicle‘s I’ve owned over the years I’ve had some that were ok and others I’ve loved, but my ram is the first one I’ve hated. I have been looking at new trucks for a while, but the prices are too high with no bargaining happening. The dealers can add $10k to 20k on top of msrp and people are paying it. I’ve been waiting for supply to normalize so prices will normalize too.
If you have to pay for it,i'd hunt up a used diff ,and swap the complete housing,should be alot cheaper then the $6500 they're trying to soak you for

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Lifetime powertrain warranty and you pay for a rear axle? Doesn't sound right to me..... rotors with oil on them can be cleaned up with some brake fluid....pads soaked in oil will need new pads. Brakes I would do myself, but the axle IMHO should be covered with lifetime warranty.

Where is @RamCares

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
‘Lifetime’ in this regards doesn’t mean what most of us would think and expect.

Lifetime to them is the ‘ Calculated and Preceived lifetime of the component / vehicle‘. So what’s that mean. Typically 100,000 miles. They figure most new buyers will trading in for another vehicle well before that time, for a newer model as well.

Its really going to boil down to what the Warranty actually says, and it’s limits.

It sucks.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would think that they will remove the differential cover & check for broken teeth, excessive wear & dark bluing on the Pinion & Ring Gears.
Then they will remove the wheels
Then back off the adjustment on at least the bad axle
Then the C clip has to be removed & pull the bad axle
( they should do both axles, but they might cheap out )

2014 Ram is not 10 years old, but it is over 7 years

What is the mileage ?

They could be trying to say it cost them too much over its lifetime & try to buy you out of the extended warranty ??

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Are the current tires over size or stock size? Is the truck lifted? If you put on bigger tires and or are lifted or both could be why they say you have to pay...

OP
OP
Michael

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think that they will remove the differential cover & check for broken teeth, excessive wear & dark bluing on the Pinion & Ring Gears.
Then they will remove the wheels
Then back off the adjustment on at least the bad axle
Then the C clip has to be removed & pull the bad axle
( they should do both axles, but they might cheap out )

2014 Ram is not 10 years old, but it is over 7 years

What is the mileage ?

They could be trying to say it cost them too much over its lifetime & try to buy you out of the extended warranty ??
It’s only got 102k miles on it. My last truck had over 200k on it before I replaced it. All I had to do to it normal maintenance on it.

OP
OP
Michael

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why don't you just have them replace that bearing & seal, put it all back together and see how it goes?

Is this the black truck jumping off the ramp in your off-road video (in your post script)?
I want them to fix it under warranty. If they won’t I’ll take elsewhere to have it fixed. It’s not the one jumping. I have never abused the pickup like that.

OP
OP
Michael

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the current tires over size or stock size? Is the truck lifted? If you put on bigger tires and or are lifted or both could be why they say you have to pay...
It’s leveled, but not lifted. It has 265/60/20’s (33’s) on it. So it doesn’t have oversized tires on it.

OP
OP
Michael

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went in to the stealership again today. The service rep says that stalantis still hasn’t reviewed the documentation that was sent to them last week. They’ve had it over a week and nothing has been done yet.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
It’s leveled, but not lifted. It has 265/60/20’s (33’s) on it. So it doesn’t have oversized tires on it.
If you leveled the front end then its no longer stock, some call that lifted, all FCA sees is you have made a change to the front end geometry, if they want they can use it against you for warranty on front end parts, as for tires did it come from the factory with 265/60/20, if not that is another reason for them to say sorry warranty is not not paying. Any time you make a change to your truck like leveling and it was not dealer installed is a reason for FCA to deny warranty claims.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went in to the stealership again today. The service rep says that stalantis still hasn’t reviewed the documentation that was sent to them last week. They’ve had it over a week and nothing has been done yet.

So no ideas what you did to damage it?
Should post a pic.
Sucks how expensive it is, but that's owning a truck. if you drive a tiny car like scotty kilmer it's a lot cheaper to fix

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you leveled the front end then its no longer stock, some call that lifted, all FCA sees is you have made a change to the front end geometry, if they want they can use it against you for warranty on front end parts, as for tires did it come from the factory with 265/60/20, if not that is another reason for them to say sorry warranty is not not paying. Any time you make a change to your truck like leveling and it was not dealer installed is a reason for FCA to deny warranty claims.
If your warranty is like my lifetime maxcare they allow a 2" lift so leveling shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Some Rams leave Mopars Body Vender lifted or lowered
they install their own kits.

I believe some were originally sold with CORE kits

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yesterday morning I could hear a noise from the passenger side in the rear. I looked under there a couple times and I couldn’t see an issue. Everything seemed tight when I checked I quickly checked it. At lunchtime I noticed a puddle of oil next to the tire. It was coming from the axle shaft. I’m guessing the axle bearing on that side went out and took the seal out too. I dropped it off at the stealership. I’ve got the lifetime powertrain warranty. No to see if they fix it under warranty or try to find a way to make me pay out of pocket. This has been the most troublesome vehicle that I’ve ever owned! My next pickup will not be a ram!
Your paperwork that came with your warranty specifically states what is and is not covered. Your getting ripped off. Have your truck towed to a different dealer.