Bed rust repair.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WS1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1982 dodge d150. The bed is starting to rust thought the wheel well.

It's not too bad. But I would like to get it repair before the rust starts to eat up all the bed.

Does anyone know where to buy the patch panels for the wheel well and also the inner wheel well since it is rusting from there too.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the wheel arch panel, rockauto.com. if they're out of stock, you may have to google it to find the part/part number.

the wheel well, you may be out of luck. I don't know of anyone making that part.

may be easier if you have a pick n pull near you to go see if they have one in better condition.

OP
OP
W

WS1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the wheel arch panel, rockauto.com. if they're out of stock, you may have to google it to find the part/part number.

the wheel well, you may be out of luck. I don't know of anyone making that part.

may be easier if you have a pick n pull near you to go see if they have one in better condition.

It is very hard to find a short bed. I have been trying for weeks. There is one that was spayed with bed liner from a local guy. But I'm afraid it I buy it. It will turn out to have more rust than my original bed.

Also there is another one from a local guy. That was involved in a wreck he is parting out the truck and the bed was hit from a corner and the back has a little rust in the arch panel but nothing too bed. Is it possible that I could use the wheel well from that bed and cut out a piece to fix mine?

Or would I be better of to wait if any other truck pops up for parts.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It'll be a lot of work cutting out a wheel well. if you're not afraid of work, then you could always do the cut and paste method. my concern would be that where the outer sheet metal meets the inner bed/wheelwell, after welding, how do you get rust protection back in there? probably an issue with just a patch panel alone as well. dirt then moisture likes to get caught in between promoting rust.

when I was re-doing my truck, I had the bed off and literally stuck my and up between the panes as far as it would go and poured a bunch of liquid under coating in the joining area. hopefully this did more good than harm.