2013 bed rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyleyou17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 2021 TRX
Engine
cammed 5.7
have a 2013 ram 1500 big horn, has a racing cam installed, on both sides on the bed there is a rust bubble the size of a nickel starting, where do I go from here before it gets worse, I undercoated the truck two years ago, I've always washed the undercarriage after driving in the salt, I'm in NJ. looking to see what other people have done to repair these beds. I don't have pictures right now to share.

blue ghost

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 sport
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would recommend trying POR-15 products, to stop the rust. I had a good Bedliner sprayed on the inside to prevent rust there, and undercoated like you did and did not have any problem. But in the north where they use excessive salt it is bound to happen. Just recommend you repair it.

OP
OP
K

kyleyou17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 2021 TRX
Engine
cammed 5.7
i'm in north NJ the brine they use is horrible, im looking for a local body shop that will take care of it, I know people try to shy away from rust repair, it's like a cancer, never goes away.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gotta fix the rust and then undercoat with Fluid Film/Woolwax/NHOU or it will come back

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hard to tell without seeing the rust. From your description it possiblity started from behind, which means there is probably more you can't see yet. What to do depends on where it is. If not near a weld or brace behind the panel it might be easier to fix. Grind the paint back to all metal around it and do the same on back side. Cut out the entire rust and weld in new metal. It is a delicate repair, should be done by someone who can use the right kind of welding and keep the lines tight. Then paint and protect inside and paint the outside panel.

Good luck.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Please post a pic of the rust. I would take off the taillights and look between the inner & outer panels of the bed. Assuming you get it fixed, I would coat the area by going through the taillights with a wand or strong spray (after it is fixed). Is there a local Krown dealer near you? Our local Krown dealer takes the taillights off as part of their process on trucks. As others have said, there are many products to slow down the spread of corrosion. Krown, Fluid Film (there is a entire thread on this forum on how to Fluid Film your truck), WoolWax, Boeshield, CRC Marine, LPS3, etc., etc. In this area you want a product that "creeps" well. Less concerned about washing off. Good luck.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat