Bent exhaust pipe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the wife drove to the store yesterday and apparently backed too far into a parking lot. The passenger side exhaust pipe scraped a cement pillar (similar to the one in the attached picture), pushing the tailpipe up and to the left.

So now, the tip of the tailpipe, when looking at it from the rear, isnt centered in the bumper. Its 1/16th away from touching the left side of the bumper.

Theres no cracks in the tailpipe. its just bent slightly. Is this something that can be fixed at home? Does the pipe have to be heated in order to bend it back? If it does i cant do it. Manhadling the pipe with my hands, it seems impossible to just 'bend it' back.

Thanks

3333.png

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Let’s see a pic of the damage.

If it’s just the bell on the end of the exhaust(dual exhaust?). Just loosen the clamp and move it then re tighten the clamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I'm guessing you have a rear exit dual exhaust if she backed into it? You may be able to loosen the clamp at the ball and socket fitting just beyond the bumper and adjust it that way. If not it may require heating or just replace that tip. A lot of guys on here install different tips maybe you could buy one, or two if your wife borrows your truck a lot! Or just buy yourself a bigger set from Moe's now you have an excuse.

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If it’s just the bell on the end of the exhaust(dual exhaust?). Just loosen the clamp and move it then re tighten the clamp

I'm guessing you have a rear exit dual exhaust if she backed into it? You may be able to loosen the clamp at the ball and socket fitting just beyond the bumper and adjust it that way. If not it may require heating or just replace that tip. A lot of guys on here install different tips maybe you could buy one, or two if your wife borrows your truck a lot! Or just buy yourself a bigger set from Moe's now you have an excuse.

Interesting! looking at the pipe right now, i see a clamp about 15" away from the tip of the exhaust pipe. One bolt with nut attaches it.

Is this the clamp??:eek:

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
That's it. It's like a ball and socket joint quite a bit of adjustment there.

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's it. It's like a ball and socket joint quite a bit of adjustment there.

How could this fix be so easy? I feel like I need to trip and break my leg on the way to my tool box.
I shall try this out and report back! i didnt even see that clamp!!!

Free BBQ at my place for all :eek::)

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Now that I have these 5 inch tips on my truck the stock ones look so undersized to me.

IMG_3753.JPG

IMG_3754.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I don't know if I can come to Pennsylvania just for a barbecue but if you wanna cook it and bring it here we can put your truck on the hoist to straighten exhaust.

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now that I have these 5 inch tips on my truck the stock ones look so undersized to me.

Does that change the sound? or is it just to show off our manliness to the world? Cause I want them :Caffeine:

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
It will give it a little bit of a deeper tone and may or may not make it louder. It could just be the bass of the deeper tone that makes it sound louder.

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will give it a little bit of a deeper tone and may or may not make it louder. It could just be the bass of the deeper tone that makes it sound louder.

maybe i could throw an organ in the truck bed, hook up the exhaust, and play the national anthem at high speeds.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
They bolt right in place of the stock ones. I got them at Moe's Performance. They are a vendor on this site and have excellent customer service and will hook up members when they can.

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks again guys for the help. When i got home, i loosened the clamp and within 30 seconds the exhaust was realigned !!! You probably saved me hundreds of dollars from having to go to a dishonest mechanic!!!

PARTY AT MY PLACE :p:D:eek:

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Thanks again guys for the help. When i got home, i loosened the clamp and within 30 seconds the exhaust was realigned !!! You probably saved me hundreds of dollars from having to go to a dishonest mechanic!!!

PARTY AT MY PLACE :p:D:eek:

I like St. Pauli Girl beer, by the way... :)